I am pragmatic

Discussion in 'Welcome' started by PhiloJoe, Mar 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhiloJoe

PhiloJoe Member

Hello, this is the very first forum I have joined. I am hoping to find hope here. "I am pragmatic- that is, I am realistic about my situation and prospects. I am in a bad place, but not in "crisis mode." However, since I have long battled my emotional and mental demons, I am exhausted and am looking for help that pills and psychotherapy have not changed in me. I am a male, Caucasian, aged 53, with a graduate degree, and have no real support group or family connections. I have had ECT treatments, been in private and state psych wards, tried 27 psych meds, had talk therapy, and even volunteered for a clinical trial for ketamine (but was not accepted because I did not meet the criteria.). I recently resigned from my teaching job due to teacher burnout. I would appreciate any support I can find here.

Joe- "PhiloJoe"
  2. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

Hey Joe, welcome to the site. There are lots of supportive people here. Drop me a message if you ever feel like talking. *hug*
  3. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

Welcome to the forum, Joe, and nice to meet you!

I hope you find what you need here, either on the forum or on the chat. There's a lot of nice people around here.

My inbox is always open as well.
    AdamTide likes this.
  4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi Joe and welcome to the forum, glad you chose to join us, thanks for introducing yourself. We're all very friendly here and will support you the best we can. Did you enjoy teaching even though you burned out? Do you feel the ECT helped you any bit? You've certainly tried a lot of medications but I would strongly urge you not to give up. Keep hope alive and we will help you along the way :)
  5. PhiloJoe

PhiloJoe Member

Hey back, and thanks for the "hug".....I guess science shows that human contact is healthy.
    CandleLight likes this.
  6. PhiloJoe

PhiloJoe Member

Thanks for welcoming me on board :)
  7. PhiloJoe

PhiloJoe Member

I still love the profession of teaching, it is just that the daily job of it has become so stressful. ECT treatment was inconclusive because at the same time they totally changed my meds...lost some memory and gained too much over-confidence. I was sent to a university researcher "expert" after so many meds failed, but all he said was to go on lithium.....I did and I had a horrible reaction to it. Depression is documented in at least five generations of my paternal side now, so I have to keep trying to give hope and model resilience for my children in case they have similar mental health issues.
  8. twowolves80

twowolves80 Darkness Incarnate; don't even bother

Welcome to the forum, Philo! Come on in, have a cup of coffee and sit awhile.
    CandleLight likes this.
  9. PhiloJoe

PhiloJoe Member

Thanks for the tunes and your poetry, TwoWolves80.
    twowolves80 likes this.
  10. twowolves80

twowolves80 Darkness Incarnate; don't even bother

No problem-o! Glad you enjoyed both! :D
  11. AdamTide

AdamTide Well-Known Member

We can be your support group Joe :) We care about you here. Everything is going to be ok. You're going to be just fine. I know how awful and crippling depression can be and is but you'll make it through it. Think as positively as you can. There is good to be had in life and in each day. Enjoy some comforting uplifting music or go for a good walk or write or watch a funny or cute video. Take some time for yourself. Like Shawn Mullins sings, everything's gonna be alright. :) PM me if you ever need to talk about anything at all. hug
  12. PhiloJoe

PhiloJoe Member

Thanks so much. I wish I would have found this forum earlier. I do try to watch funny, cute things on the web, like puppies, comedy, etc. Thanks for the hug.
    CandleLight and AdamTide like this.
  13. AdamTide

AdamTide Well-Known Member

:) Glad I could be of help. It helps me to help others and to get good out of my life. I'll always do anything I can to help. I hope you have a great, safe week.
  14. Williamstuckinarut

Williamstuckinarut Well-Known Member

Hi Joe welcome to the forum.
    Have you ever tried private tutoring? I trained to be an English teacher but never managed to even start my carrier because of my issues, instead I did private tutoring for some time. It was totally stress free compared to a full time job.

I am glad you are here and hope you can improve your current situation.
    Take care,
    CandleLight likes this.
  15. CandleLight

CandleLight Well-Known Member

Hi Joe, I'm taking a break from teaching and can probably relate to some of your experiences. It can be a very challenging job, though I do hope to go back to work when I am strong enough. Family depression, over many generations, is really rough. But I would bet you also inherited some impressive resiliency. Anyway, feel free to reach out. I am brand new here but can be a friend who might "get it" in some ways.
  16. ahouseinthewoods

ahouseinthewoods New Member

Hey there...I'm a lecturer and relate to that day to day stress... it's so exhausting so fair play to you for putting your health first. I'm new and your post prompted me to post
    CandleLight likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.