I am supposed to go on a road trip

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by mpk, Apr 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

I am supposed to leave on Wednesday for a road trip to Houston and then to Ohio to see my wife's sister and her mother for a couple of weeks.
    I really don't want to go as I am embarrassed about my depression and the fact that I am unemployed. My sister in law's husband is a real to do banker and thinks he is better than everyone else.
    My mother in law is okay yet does not seem to understand my situation just as my wife doesn't.
    I am really not looking forward to this and my wife states I am going whether I like I or not, go figure.

2. Brian777

Brian777 Safety and Support Forum Pro SF Supporter

That doesn't sound like a fun trip to me my friend. It's bad enough being depressed without having to put on the mask and act otherwise, I wouldn't want to go either. Sometimes not having family is a blessing in disguise. Sorry to hear this is being forced upon you and that your wife doesn't seem to have any understanding of how you feel. Wish I could say something helpful, but the way you feel is exactly how I'd feel too. Take care of yourself my brother.
    Brian

3. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

No, that doesn't sound like a fun time. If you really can't wriggle yourself out of going, could you try to make the best out of it? Plan some nice things to see while you're there? Maybe take a day trip during the visit on your own if you need to get away?

4. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

Thanks to both of you. I don't know how to wiggle out of this. I have been thinking about may be getting sick or something. As I said I really don't want to do this yet unfortunately I have to keep the peace in the family. When I go to these things everyone is so happy and I am miserable.

Brian777 likes this.
  5. Jenumbra

Jenumbra SF Supporter

Yeah, I haven't been very social because of my depression too and skipped a recent family event. If you don't want to discuss too much personal stuff maybe you can think of other things to talk about so you can change the subject quickly. Or download games on your phone to play, seems like everyone is staring at their phones all the time so it wouldn't be too weird. ;) Good job on your recent efforts btw, saw that you went to the doctor and applied for some jobs.

6. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

Thanks Jenumbra. I is tough, I don't have a phone so I guess I'll take my mini ipad. I am really not looking forward to this as I need to focus on my mental issues. I may run out of my anti depressant when I am gone and have to rely on my step daughter to mail the refill to me, she does not always do what she is asked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.