I am very depressed but what do I do next?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by voices_inmy_head, Jan 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. voices_inmy_head

voices_inmy_head Well-Known Member

Ive been depressed on and off for about 12 years.

I used to self medicate with alcohol but got too sick to drink anymore and managed to stop mostly. When I drank it was still to extreme but as long as I kept alcohol out the house I would be ok.

Recently my depression is the worst I can ever remember it being. I've started drinking again as I can't cope.

I don't want to take drugs as I don't want to feel numb. Are there more to drugs now then just numbing all your moods?

And I think I want to talk to someone but my doctor ignores me when I say I'm depressed (I dont want to say I'm suicidal as I get bad enough attitude from just being depressed) Can I talk to a professional without being sent from my GP?

I dont want to become reliant on alcohol again.

2. Datura

Datura Well-Known Member

Look up psychologists/psychotherapists in your area, and ask them if a referral is necessary. You want want to look into Dialectical Behavioral Therapy.

3. isd

isd Well-Known Member

i was very worried about drugs numbing me, but the 2 i have taken have given me no side effects, no numbness. depends on the drug i suppose. you can always come off them if they cause you problems.

if the gp doesn't take your depression seriously then change him/her

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2010
  4. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

Therapy has helped me the most followed by physical exercise(running). I've never felt any relief from my depression from medication but that is just me.

What I've learned from therapy and what seems the best defense against depression is to find hope and promise in my life even with my disabilities.

Please find a way (12 step program?) to stay away from alcohol. :console::arms:

5. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

Have you figured out what it is in your life that makes you so depressed?
    Sometimes it can be purely a natural chemical imbalance and medication is the easiest fix...

6. voices_inmy_head

voices_inmy_head Well-Known Member

I am starting to think its a chemical imbalance as there is nothing that sets it off. I just feel almost constantly depressed. I guess I have to try talking to another doctor.

Thanks Guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.