i appear

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by SpencerA, Feb 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpencerA

SpencerA Well-Known Member

to have developed a stutter when i'm talking to people, i've become so unsure of myself. i've never, ever had trouble with being able to talk to people before, it's always been a strong point of mine. but all of a sudden i'm lost for words with friends and mix my words up in front of strangers. so many things have gone wrong recently and i've lost any sort of self-belief i might have once had. my anxiety is keeping me up all hours of the day and night, i can't focus on anything and however hard i try i'm just too terrified to sleep. i can't cope with the nightmares, but then again i can't cope with the emptiness of everyday life. my real life friends appear to have vanished out of my life through no fault of their own, and i don't feel like i have anything left to live for.

2. mdmefontaine

mdmefontaine Antiquities Friend

hi hun. just wondering, this is so interesting. ... i have always been very articulate. but since this 2 month long and growing...onset of depression happened. .. i have been confused, choppy sentences (like now! lol) and just general problems in dealing in everday dealings w/the public....not as prevalent in personal relationships though.....

so i am thinking about you - could it be the depression? it DOES confused thinking. . .

and sorry if i am over-simplifying. . . .not meaning to. . .. (((HUGS))) xx

3. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

I've noticed this lately too, I am confusing my words when talking & writing. That's never happened to me before & I don't like it.

I don't know if it's happening to me because I've been off work for 6 weeks now but I sure as hell hope it doesn't last.

((Laura)) Sorry about your anxiety hun, I can certainly relate to the not sleeping.

4. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Hey Laurey,
    I suffer from it also. When I talk to someone in real life my thoughts get al garbled up..I have been diagnosed with irrational thinking and racing thoughts. They do have meds that help with them..I currently take the meds and another med for the side effects.
    It does help me to feel a little more sure of myself and if I am in a one on one conversation I tend to do a little better. In a group of people no way..
    The anxiety goes hand in hand with it.. I very rarely sleep more than a couple of hours at a time..My sister blames it on me drinking coffee in the middle of the night. She has no clue..The coffee even though it is a stimulate helps relax me..Talk to your doctor about having irrational thinking and racing thoughts and see what she/he has to say...

5. max0718

max0718 Well-Known Member

That is why I love forums and texting and so forth. I am very relaxed when it comes to texting, because of that delay that you have to think of something to say. When I am in a personal conversation with someone, I tend to overthink what I'm supposed to say next and all these ideas fly through my head, and in the end I don't even remember what we were talking about. I absolutely hate silences. Sometimes, even with my family, I get anxious over having nothing to say. Even with my best friends. I hate that. I hate not being able to settle down or get comfortable in a social situation. I always feel like I have to say something, or make a joke or something and end up making a fool of myself or not being able to come up with ANYTHING to say. I am also anxious all the time. My medication does help organize my thoughts more, so I would suggest you see a psychiatrist to help you. Reach out to your friends, even if you haven't had contact for a while. I did and once they knew, they instantly became more helpful. They now know when to leave me alone, and when to ask if I am alright, and when to make jokes etc. Even if it feels like you're alone, just remember at the very least you do have us. And it only takes a phonecall to get back in touch with your real life friends.

Take Care

6. crookxshanks

crookxshanks Well-Known Member

i get like this as well a lot of the time. i seem to stress myself out with what im saying, going off on tangents, forget what i originally said and then start stuttering because i keep thinking that what im saying is being judged by who im talking to. its worse when i meet new people. ive actually been known to phone up people and apologise for what i said and how i said it because its got to me so much and given me panic attacks. i know that if i dont apologise that i wont sleep so can completly relate to what your saying

how about trying to reach out to your real life friends again. see how they are doing. maybe write down notes on a bit of paper what your wanting to say just before you call them so that you dont feel so lost for words :hug:

7. SpencerA

SpencerA Well-Known Member

i feel so much better to know i'm not the only one! i do think its definitely something to do with my depression, i just get really strange looks from people when i start stuttering away, especially with my friends, because i've always been the one to have an opinion and talk endlessly, they're really not used to me being lost for words! also, because i'm currently working in retail, it gets quite frustrating when i cant even say "would you like a bag?" without looking like a criminal and mixing my words up! lol.
    xxxx

8. the fleet asleep

the fleet asleep Well-Known Member

for some reason, ive always carried an odd fear of developing a stutter based on frayed nerves. on more than one occaison, ive spent a few days panicing over a percieved stutter, and i cant help but wonder whether this stutter has ever gone away, or if ive just become less conscious of it. in a few cases, it has become all out paranoia, and destroyed good situations.

being able to get my point across is one of a few features i still take pride in. not being able to do so, or not being able to do so well, is something that i fear as it may be my only redeaming quality. even now, im wondering if im making a point at all, and ill probably end up rereading this a few times before deciding to throw caution to the wind.

in any case, these things do have a habit of working themselves out. the less you think about it, the less prevalent it becomes, and hopefully youll begin to notice it less and less. i could tell you to get your sleep right and what not, but im sure you know all of this already. ridding yourself of a brainfog is often as easy as calming your nerves, though calming your nerves isnt as easy as losing a brainfog, if this makes any sense. give your body some time to regulate itself again, and try not to fuss too much over it in the meantime

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.