I avoid my reflections

johnDoen

Outsider in the Realm of Lost and Found
Somehow, I feel uncomfortable looking at myself in pictures, videos or reflective surfaces (mirrors, my phone's screen, etc.).
To be honest, I'm not attractive and slightly (or obviously) fat in real life, maybe similar to a typical neckbeard or an incel.
Maybe there are something I need to change about my look. At the moment, I'm struggling with exercising but the good thing is I'm don't drink soda as much often as I used to and I'm more aware on the amount of salt and sugar I consume everyday.

Anonymous ID

I have the same issue. I used to be so fit but the mental illness and medication has resulted me in letting myself go. I gave up on taking care of myself because my priorities have changed. But just because I have let myself go doesn't mean I don't care about how I look. I beat myself up so much over it and can't stand looking at myself. I look at my passport and then look at my license and it like a before and after. I get really angry and upset

johnDoen

Despite all the stuff (gaining weight, dealing with losses, etc.), the character Thor (played by Chris Hemsworth) remains worthy of his hammer and his role as a god of thunder in the Endgame movie.
That's something worth to think about, in my opinion.

I'm going through something similar i just hate looking at myself in photos, the mirror or any reflective surface and its so bad to the point where i just want to start crying but i hold myself.. i was always the ugly weird kid in elementary school with autism who didnt have friends at all and still dont have friends at all...
my aunt always calls me "ugly" or "fat bitch" or says nasty stuff to me like that.. and it made me extremely insecure about myself.. i hope you are ok still.. *console

johnDoen

I'm going through something similar i just hate looking at myself in photos, the mirror or any reflective surface and its so bad to the point where i just want to start crying but i hold myself.. i was always the ugly weird kid in elementary school with autism who didnt have friends at all and still dont have friends at all...
my aunt always calls me "ugly" or "fat bitch" or says nasty stuff to me like that.. and it made me extremely insecure about myself.. i hope you are ok still.. *console
I'm fine, thanks for asking. It's just that I feel uncomfortable seeing my images.
It seems like we all have at least one person in our lives to give us horrible remarks of our bodies.
If your aunt is that nasty, please avoid meeting her, or forgive her for being jealous of you, or maybe prepare a good comeback next time you meet her.

Kiwi2016

🦩 Now a flamingo, not a kiwi 🦩
SF Pro
I also feel that way as always try to be the photographer so don't have to be in the picture and even didn't do a senor college photo for the yearbook for that reason...my moto has always been to look look at myself in the mirror in the morning getting ready and never look again as that was the best I am going to be....but seriously we are often our own worst critics and if there is someone in our lives who is hypercritical/nasty it just makes it so much worse...sending all hugs

SaFa61947

Kaiser Franz
It's the same for me. My sister asked me to be the photographer in her wedding because she knows I loathe taking my photo taken. My mother bugs me trying to take pictures at family gatherings. Last weekend she asked "why you do this". I have a right to not have my image taken, I suppose?

I said to her that I don't want my photo published but the truth is that I detest how I look, especially profile photos (the ones taken sideways).

Dante

Git
SF Pro
SF Supporter
Somehow, I feel uncomfortable looking at myself in pictures, videos or reflective surfaces (mirrors, my phone's screen, etc.).
To be honest, I'm not attractive and slightly (or obviously) fat in real life, maybe similar to a typical neckbeard or an incel.
Maybe there are something I need to change about my look. At the moment, I'm struggling with exercising but the good thing is I'm don't drink soda as much often as I used to and I'm more aware on the amount of salt and sugar I consume everyday.
I find a shortcut to exercise is to find an activity which is NOT exercise but nevertheless does have a component of physical exertion, something you enjoy doing. You will push yourself much harder in those circumstances and enjoy it rather than hate it.

I got myself a VR for this purpose. I love Beatsaber, but when you get to Expert tracks and above, it becomes a rather relentless cardio workout (unless of course you have the whole wrist action worked out, which I dont), and after an hour of playing I am drenched in sweat, my heart is hammering away, I am shaking, my arms are heavy but I am smiling. I would NEVER push myself that hard for merely "exercise", I have tried, but I always hit a point where I say "its too hard" and stop, but when Im focusing on the game, I just keep trying until my arms wont move anymore :P

That being said, I also dislike my reflection. When I look in the mirror I see everything wrong with it, I dont see a face anymore, I see the elephantman, objectively I know I'm not THAT bad, but thats still what I see, so I sometimes avoid looking.

KM76710

Kangaroo Manager
SF Pro
SF Supporter
People ask me for updated pics, but I remind them that I basically have looked the same for a long time.
I would post up the last picture of me but they aren't allowed, the fun part was with me wearing history oriented t-shirts this one had the latin phrase Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam on it so people always have asked what it means.

I will find a way or make one.

A_J_R

I have the opposite problem. I stare into the mirror and obsess over particular things. I have Body Dysmorphia, so it's not uncommon to zone in on things, but it's pretty overwhelming at times. And time consuming. Then I usually decide I look horrible, and cry for the rest of the day.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00