I cannot justify my own existence

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Endless_Nameless, Jun 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm a former Christian, turned agnostic, then turned atheist. I see myself as a nothing more than a collection of cells with limited shelf time. Even if it were to be assumed that there is some value in human life:
    I am a human being.
    There are over 6 billion human beings on earth.
    The human race constitutes one of approximately 10 million species of living organisms on earth.
    Earth is one of eight planets orbiting the sun in our solar system.
    There are approximately 400 billion suns in the Milky Way galaxy.
    There are approximately 100 billion galaxies in the universe.

I think it is understandable for me to feel insignificant.

My question is; how do people justify their existence and feel as if their life has value?
  2. White Dove

White Dove Well-Known Member

i would love to know the answer to that question myself.

Anyone got the answer?
  3. You see, I don't believe that there is a single "answer" to that. I believe it is up to the individual to find meaning in their life. Thus far, I have failed, but I know enough happy people to be convinced that there is a customized solution out there for me. I'm still looking.
  4. Azul

Azul Well-Known Member

your existence ought to justify itself.
  5. Azul

Azul Well-Known Member

Why should scale have anything to do with importance. It's not because there are larger things than you that you are insignificant. What kind of logic is that? The solar system would be more significant than any of its planets?
    The only thing that matters is life right here, happiness right here, ethics right here. What matters dead matter in space? The only significance is where the heart beats.
  6. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Succinct and well put. If you are an atheist, I suggest reading up on existentialism (Sartre, Camus, etc.) in order to understand how to find meaning to life. Illuminating to say the least.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.