I can't belive this

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by SaraRose, Oct 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SaraRose

SaraRose Well-Known Member

I found out today that where I work, if you are any psych meds you have to tell them what ones and why. This just makes me wanna never see the doctor ever because...I don't need those at work knowing my mental issues. I can't believe they can do this, I mean if you are worried someone is that unstable that you must know all of their meds wouldn't it be easier to just fire them for unstableness. I think this is worse because it keeps you from wanting to get the help that will keep you stable. I'm so glad I havent gone back to the doctor for depression. I'll stay under the radar and hide out for a while and pretend to be happy then to have a chance of EVERYONE learning what I take.

And no one at work can keep secrets, so I for sure don't wanna tell any docs about how I feel....

I'm still in the state of shock...
  2. MisterBGone

That's a massive mistake--an error in judgement on their part. You have every right to feel the way that you do, and in no way should feel that you have to disclose your own personal health history. That is a private matter for us all, and once you've said it, there's no taking it back. And about all you can do by enlightening every one to your situation is to get them to pass judgement on you. This should be confidential, and as far as I am aware, there shouldn't be any way for them to get ahold of this information. So forget the good Samaritan act, it's not like they've got any thing to worry about with regards their own safety from you.
  3. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Go to a different facility than where you work at to discuss with Psyche Dr and get their opinion if your condition or medications pose a significant risk to coworkers, clients/patients/ and yourself by working in that environment. You will be covered by Hippa and they will not be able to contact your employer regards the visit. If they think you should disclose than likely you should. If not , then it is your decision. Your employer has responsibilities to all employees and people receiving care and to you as well in regards safety - they would be negligent in not asking as many conditions and medications could in fact effect that safety, even if yours is not one of them. So far as privacy issues in work place, you seem to imply it is a medical facility of some type - if there are privacy concerns about medical treatment at a medical facility then there are significant issues that need to be dealt with by your employer or oversight committees.
  4. amk666

amk666 Active Member

Hi Sara, I'm a nurse, too, though I no longer work in healthcare. First off in many of the places I've worked (all in California) nearly everyone was on psych meds, depression, anxiety, ocd, etc., are rife among healthcare workers. Secondly I agree about HIPPA. Go to an unallied provider, ask to ensure there's no chance of your treatment being reported to anyone else, & you'll be fine so far as confidentiality is concerned.

What an outrageous policy! I can't believe that won't be challenged & set aside.

Good luck.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.