I Can't Call A Suicide Hotline Ever Again!

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by Unloved, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unloved

Unloved Member

I am in a severely suicidal state of mind and I am the type that will try ANYTHING to prevent myself from actually going through with it . Well, I've been advised by a good friend to call the suicide hotline and I know that maybe I should even though they probably won't do anything about it tangibly....However, I won't and I am NOT because the last time I did that, the lady on the phone was MEAN to me. Her tone of voice was all wrong, she was rude, she was questioning me like my problem was so small and she was belittling my situations and not understanding me.

I don't get why people work for suicide hotlines if they are going to be rude to people wanting to kill themselves. Don't they realize that; that is NOT going to help matters none?

So, now that I am afraid to call the suicide hotline, what am I supposed to do? I can't afford to be in the hospital, I can't afford anything related to health or any of that. I can't afford to go to the doctor to check out what is wrong with me or anything! I am starting to panic because I'm thinking I am going to just have to go ahead and end my life...but I don't want to do that because my biggest fear is going somewhere in an afterlife that I don't want to go to. : '(

I HATE life, it SUCKS.

People are RUDE and mean and they don't TRULY care, they suck.
    >:'(

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

I am sorry you had a bad experience on the first time you called, but you can also come across some very helpful, understanding and compassionate workers on the suicide helplines. You should give it another shot. You can't tar everyone with the same brush, most of the time helplines are comforting and helpful when you need to talk.

3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Hi hun i had same experiance hun with one person was very insenstive very cruel but you know what it took me awhile but i phone again and the next person hun was so opposite
    The next person knew what it was like to be so sad and understood and listened and cared

Don't let that one rude person stop you from getting help from the many that do care hun ok You keep calling and you keep reaching out and the ones that are cruel you tell them how they affected you and that you want to talk to someone that does understand You are worth that call hun ok don't let one person undue the good of the rest hugs

4. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

I'm glad you have reached out here. I'm sorry you are feeling so crummy right now. I'm also sorry to hear about your bad experience with the hotline. If you call the hotline again, you'll likely get a different person - one who is kinder and more sensitive. As Total Eclipse says, if they are rude or mean, you can tell them that they are just upsetting you more, and ask to speak to someone else or call a different service. I hope you'll keep trying until you find someone who listens.

If you're in immediate danger of hurting yourself, call a crisis hotline, go to the hospital, or call the paramedics/doc and let them know how you're feeling. I hope the urges go away soon and you feel better. :hug:

5. 41021

41021 Banned Member

well, at least you have this place.
    people here can be quite helpful to get you through this.
    just talk to folks here (hugs)
    they are mostly not rude and actually care and have been there themselves

6. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

Hello unloved..first off you are not on here.. A very big portion of those that work the crisis lines are very good, caring, experienced people. Have called myself many times when not doing good at all. Saved my life..

You say a really big part of you wants to continue to live..great..do you currently have any professional mental Heath available??? If things are bad I highly recommend having some for yourself. They have saved my life also..

Like others have said if you call a crisis and run into hostility, ask to speak to someone else.. The same goes for mental health help..if failing try someone else..

Take care of you out there, Jim

7. Baka

Baka Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your bad call Unloved, been thinking about it off and on whether to call up a place like that but seeing what may happen would probably hasten any action I'm going to do and you're right, why would a rude person be at a place like that? Off the track for a second, what can a place like that really do? If someone has been through numerous kinds of treatment, therapists, meds, etc, so wouldn't think a place like a hotline with volunteers could give any more info that someone like me and would think many others haven't tried yet.

8. Jack Rabbit

Jack Rabbit Well-Known Member

Even rude people care. I know I'm cranky a lot - but even when I'm pissed off, I'd like to help.
    I tried a hot line once. Didn't like it. But it was me, not them.
    This place helps me a lot. Being able to talk freely - to admit when I want to kill myself - and why - has so far been enough to keep me going.
    So, any more detail than suckiness?

9. Baka

Baka Well-Known Member

Something I was wondering about, can those hotline places trace your call? If someone called it seemed to the person answering that the caller was about to kill themselves or had taken an overdose or something like that, do they have caller ID or a way to contact the police or hospital with your number and then find out where you live?

10. Jack Rabbit

Jack Rabbit Well-Known Member

Dial *67 before the number to block caller ID. They do not have access to the 911 system.

11. Baka

Baka Well-Known Member

Thanks, think I'm passed the point of a place like that helping but sort of wanted to talk live to one person before the end.

12. sadcat

sadcat Well-Known Member

I want to call a suicide hot line sometimes, but am totally afraid.

Called two times and was told both times that they were busy and to call back later - what the hell !

I am totally afraid that they will force me to go into a hospital. I hate hositals. I would rather die. If I thought they were coming to get me - I would definately kill myself on the spot.

I do not understand the difference between a suicide hot line and a crysis center line. Can anyone help me with that.

I get medicines for cancer that make me very suicidal, but only occasionally. And I will be getting them much more and more frequently now.

13. InMyMind

InMyMind Member

In Canada, where I live, if they think you are in any danger of killing yourself in the day or in the next days they can trace your call and send the police to come and take you to the hospital. Doesn't matter if you do *67 or not. It's one of the reason why I'm not a big fan of suicide hotline. I get that they help some people, but I'm just not confortable speaking to a stranger(not always very nice or comprehensive) who don't know anything about me. I called once and it didn't help me at all. I even lied so the person wouldn't call the police. It's just my personnal experience of course.

Still, if you really need to talk to someone they are some nice people working in these hotline. Not all of them are great, but some are. In USA you don't have to worry about them calling the police(if you hide your number) if I trust what I have read so use the help. The worse that will happen is a mean person and you just have to hang up.

14. lelantgirl

lelantgirl Well-Known Member

Hello there, just to say that I have called suicide places myself several times and only once did I get a decent person on other end...............like you, I dont have a clue why people choose to man these phones when they dont ahve a clue of how to interact with people, let alone someone very low and desperate.
    It put me off and I will NEVER use them again.
    Contact me if you feel you need a shoulder, I will listen and not judge, and will DEFINITLEY understand.
    Take care and hope you dont feel so alone with experience of being let down by a service which should HELP not HINDER things.
    XX

15. lelantgirl

lelantgirl Well-Known Member

By the way I am in UK, so laws about suicide are lax, not a crime and noone can change your mind, like in some countries they take you away to hospital etc.
    I wish there was more help for desperate and low and empty people, but sadly there isn't, just ourselves and each other.
    XX

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.