I can't get over it

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by nicesinging1, Feb 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicesinging1

nicesinging1 Well-Known Member

Before I tell you guys about my problem, I have to warn you beforehand that it is very irrational and almost sounds like nonsense. I can feel it is irrational problem but I can't seem to get over it.
    Recently, I almost returned DVD movie late to a local library and could have gotten fined. I barely returned it on time and it was all due to laziness. I was going through extreme depression and have been feeling very lethargic at the moment but there was no excuse for laziness. I felt guilty, worthless, depressed and couldn't stop blaming my self for my laziness. I felt it was something that should never ever have happened in my life. I felt like a laziest person in the world.
    It has been 2 weeks already and the feeling doesn't go away. In fact, I feel worse. I feel even suicidal. I still keep beating myself up inside, calling myself, "laziest person alive, too lazy to do even basic things on time." I feel extremely low and don't know what to do. It's things like this that make me think I wish I were never born.
    Can anyone help me how to get over this?
  2. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Singing, even non-depressed people can be chronic procrastinators--and I konw that's not what you're describing. However, people who seem to always procrastinate experience some of the same feelings that you describe: Feelings of LAZINESS primarily. Low self-esteem is a natural consequence from there.

Look, you've got a stream of negative self-talk going, tried and well rehearsed. I don't think you can "get rid of" them (deficit motivation) but I know you can slowly REPLACE them with positive self-talk like, "Well it is natural to feel this way," or by spotting, labelling, and then replacing them (growth motivation) when they occur.

3. HOW

HOW Well-Known Member

Try doing some sports, after a good jog or workout you should feel great. In addition that should help you against saying that you are lazy. Of course you would have to get up and actually do some work. From doing nothing, you won´t get anything.
  4. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

I love doing nothing. I just do absolutely nothing some days. As long as I'm not tiring myself out physically/extremely wandering around then everything's great. Doing nothing=best thing in the world!

Have you tried enjoying and savoring every single delicious moment of doing absolutely nothing instead of using the word 'lazy' and beating yourself up about what you should do? It's great. It tastes and feels great.

If you had received that fine, would it be down to laziness or would it be down to what you say is lethargy and tiredness? You sound like you've been feeling tired so that doesn't mean you didn't try. When I read your post, you don't sound lazy at all, you sound incredibly anxious to do something- and in that anxiety there's a lot of mental work you're doing, all the time.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  5. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

Hank, don't be so hard on yourself. You're a nice guy and you like helping people. That's what really matters at the end of the day. God doesn't really care about a late DVD, but treating people as nicely and compassionately as you do will put you in God's good graces.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.