I can't get to bed

Discussion in 'Midnight Owl' started by Abby Rose, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abby Rose

Abby Rose Well-Known Member

It is 2:15 AM and I can not get to sleep. Over the next two days I have some, but not a lot of schoolwork to do. In fact with a good night sleep or even just a 4 or 5 hours I could get it done no problem over the next couple of days. But instead I stay awake, dreading the work I have to do when I know from rational thought and experience that it won't take much time or effort. However I seem to be in a masochistic sort of mood and have subconsciously decided to make life more difficult and more stressful by not going to bed. So instead of getting some sleep or even getting some work done I sit here, realizing that there is something very wrong in my thought process that makes me do these kinds of things to myself. I want to get, better, I want to be happier but, for unknown reasons I still sit here and slowly make my life unbearable, and to avoid getting further into my rant, I want to know how common is this.

2. protonaut

protonaut Well-Known Member

I usually sleep 3 or 4 times per week. It's not a bad deal when you consider all the free time I'm getting.

My suggestion is actually to stay up and just have a good time when you can't sleep - as long as it doesn't involve blasting music that wakes up the neighbors. You're up - so might as well make the most of it.

If you really want more sleep in the long-term, shedding energy will help a great deal. Physical energy: Run or bike for an hour every day. Mental energy: Find some books at your library and read them one by one.

I don't usually recommend medication, with the exception being Xanax. Only if you're the type of person who isn't prone to addiction - and only for times when you really need it, exam week is a common example.

With meditation and yoga you can improve control over your energy, whether you need to sleep or stay awake. It's an art that works better for some than others, and won't benefit anyone much without practice.

We all deal with stress, don't feel bad about this. You'll be alright.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.