I can't seem to cry

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by silent_enigma, Aug 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silent_enigma

silent_enigma Well-Known Member

Being a sensitive (and overweight) kid, I quickly learned to hold in my feelings, as being emotional isn't an acceptable trait for males in our culture. It would have condemned me to eternal ridicule both at school and at home.

Now as an adult, I am not able to even when I want to. I know that crying is a mechanism that can relieve stress and is therapeutic to humans. But I can't even when I try, and am in a private place where no one would ever know.

The depression and sadness is only able surface as anger or suicidal thoughts. One thing I do sometimes to calm myself down is, while driving (with the windows up and with no traffic near), to scream as loud as I possibly can and beat my fist on the steering wheel. I still feel sad but at least I wear myself out enough to relax a bit.

The medication has helped a lot with controlling anger, and I don't ever do any nutty screaming at the kids anymore. So that's a big plus. But still.

Any other guys have this problem?
  2. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I am not a guy, but I know many who were taught as a young child that men don't cry. I wish that society would not do that to males as this is certainly not true. Crying does not show a sign of weakness as males are led to believe. I think it takes more courage and strength for a man to cry and show tears than it does to remain stoic. I am glad you have found a way to relieve some of those pent up feelings. It is important to have a release. :hug:
  3. Blackness

Blackness Guest

Don't think that crying is a weakness, try really hard at night in your bedroom or whenever your alone. For me I look at old photos and they make me cry, it's a terrible feeling when the tears just wont flow!!
  4. Barbados

Barbados Well-Known Member

Watch a sad film.
  5. johnsmythe

johnsmythe Well-Known Member

I am similar to you. I've been burying my emotions for so long it's getting harder and harder to even have them anymore. I haven't cried in 12(?) years and even on the rare occasions that I feel like I want to, I just can't. I also have anger issues.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.