I can't stand him

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by daredhead, Dec 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daredhead

daredhead Well-Known Member

My dad makes me feel that life isn't worthwhile. He doesn't care if I'm happy as long as I am successful. He goes on and on about completely stupid things. Tonight he is making me feel that the only way to escape is to end everything.

I want to escape. I would prefer running away and starting fresh, but if that isn't an option, maybe I shouldn't be here at all.

I'm thinking about going to my aunt's house for the weekend. She lives downtown Chicago, and she is willing to pick me up so I can bring my dog. My dad doesn't want me to go, and I don't know what to say/do to convince him.

2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi Daredhead, How old are you? Just tell your dad you are going to help her with something..that's what I would do if I were you.

3. Rosenrot

Rosenrot Forum Buddy

That's just how parents are, they want you to be successful so they look like they raised a good child. I dealt with my father who would constantly fill my ears with bullshit for years, I couldn't stand it. Though he's gotten better over the years, it's unfortenately something we all have to deal with.

Just a few more years and you can be on your own.. 2 more years of high school, you can go to a far away college, move out, there's lots of options.

If you don't mind me asking; does he do anything to physically hurt you? If he does, please report him to CPS as soon as possible.

4. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I agree with daisychain. How old are you. In most states when you turn sixteen you can go to social services and apply to become an immancipated child. You will need to have a job so you can show you can support yourself. Have you tried sitting him down and being a little assertive with him by telling him he is pushing you away and one day it is just going to be over and you will go your seperate ways. It is not a problem where you need to be thinking suicide. You have a whole life ahead of you. All kinds of experiences you more than likely haven't even thought about yet. Please be safe!~Joseph~

5. Pain&Sorrow

Pain&Sorrow Well-Known Member

Ha. You and i seem to have at least one thing in common. My dad says that he wants me to be successful, to know how it feels to have my first full paycheck. But what he doesnt understand is that hes stressing the crap out of me to the breaking point. I've threatened to move out and hes kinda laxed a little on it. But at one point in time my only solution was to kill myself. I even did so much as to hold a knife to my throat and hold onto a picture of me and my mother together. I was the closest ive ever been and the deepest most passionate feelings of death ive ever had in my life. I havent told anyone of this yet. But thankfully my dad has let up on his trying to get me to get a job. my grandma interveined and said i was doing all i could, and i was. But i far i may have another moment like that soon, ecause nothing good is happening. I dont know what to tell you, but just stay tough.

p.s. I'm 18

6. daredhead

daredhead Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm fifteen, and I need to at least stick around until I go to college. I have tried to talk to him before, but he is so stuck in his ways that he refuses to listen to me.

He doesn't physically abuse me. He would hit me when I was younger when I did something wrong (bad), but that stopped. I guess his attitude is just part of the way he was raised. Whenever I try to tell him about something going on with me, he tells me how much worse his childhood was and how lucky I am. I keep asking him to stop, but if you think about his record, I really doubt any major changes are going to take place any time soon.

7. Summer.Rain

Summer.Rain Well-Known Member

Dear daredhead
    My dad is the same as yours, for years he talking to me about all his bullshit
    that no one cares about, he is so.. i dont want to even say it here.
    I am 23 and stuck with him and i cant do anything about it but to accept it.
    I hope you will be in a better situation then i am in the feauture.
    Wish you all the best

8. Feared.Desire

Feared.Desire Well-Known Member

I know where you’re coming from. My situation is virtually 100% the same.
    I’m only a year older than you, and I don’t think we’ve had many conversations that don’t end with, “You could be doing better”, or “You should go to this university, but you need a 90% to get in.”
    I’ve threatened to move out too. It made him back off for a little bit, but I may have to resort to it none the less.
    Case and point, you’re not alone.
    This worked for my friend. He found a close friend, and he moved in with him and his family for a little.
    Try that and see if it makes things better between you too.
    It may make him realize how much he wants to know you’re safe and want you back, causing him to back up a little on the subject when you do return.
    Or you may find that you like being away and don’t want to go back.
    But at least this way you’ll have a taste of what it will be like. If you move out, and hate it, you’re in another tough situation.
    Maybe that’s a possibility?

Hope all goes well

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.