I can't stop overeating :'(

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by justastrangegirl, Apr 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justastrangegirl

justastrangegirl Well-Known Member

When I was 15, I took pills in order to keep hunger under control and I reached a weight of 47 kg. Don't worry, I'm not tall, just 1.60 m. so it wasn't an unhealthy weight for me.

Anyway, since then, my family "tried to fix" my eating disorder and took me to several nutritionists, but I never had the strength to follow a diet correctly.

Now I'm complete out of control. I gained 20 kgs. in the past few years, and with an upcoming surgery, I was supposed to lose some weight before to go into the O.R., but it seems rather impossible. I went to a new nutritionist, and she's a strict one. She gave me an hypocaloric diet with sooo little amount of food, which is exactly what I need, but, once again, I can't do it. I'm hungry ALL the time. I drink more than 2 litters of water per day. I don't know if it is because of the pills I used to take or what, but I'm seriously hungry all day long.

I would eat lunch and feel full and satisfy, then, an hour later, I'm famished.

In addition, I completely lost taste in food. I practically have no taste. I don't like anything. I don't like vegetables, I'm tired of chicken and meet, so that's why it's so hard for me to follow a diet, I don't enjoy ANY kind of food :(

PLEASE HELP ME!! I SERIOUSLY DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HELL I CAN DO.

2. PeriVitton

PeriVitton New Member

I can understand your problem but you must have heard that nothing is impossible ad you have to just try it. If you set in your mind that you don't want to eat much then you can surely control your diet because only you can care for yourself better than anyone else. Others will just tell you what to do but that all depends upon you whether you are serious or not. So try to be confident and you will do it.

3. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Have much the same problem.
    Food, it seems, is something I just constantly shovel into my mouth and I've reached the conclusion that it's some underlying mental thing.
    I was always skinny, now I'm morbidly obese.
    Not sure what the answer is, but I'm going to have a word with my GP as I am also chronically depressed, maybe it's an avenue you could explore?
    Failing that, what about Lighter life?
    Apparently they have wonderful results, but are expensive.

4. skinnylove911

skinnylove911 Well-Known Member

can you speak to your gp about this and see what he/she says

5. FrainBart

FrainBart Staff Alumni

I was quite a big culprit of this. I used to be quite slender when I was in my teens, but eventually comfort eating took over, and gained a massive amount. perhaps look at the types of food you are eating and find things that provide a longer full feeling.
    Some also very useful advice is eat slower, because it takes a wlittle while for your body's feeling to catch up. and you could be full long before you actually finish eating. Try and have 5 smaller meals a day. or find things that you could have as snacks during the day in between meals. There is something released in the UK belvita biscuits, and after having a free sample with my shoping, I was kept full pretty much all day. So see if you have something similar to that.

6. Sais

Sais Well-Known Member

7. flowers

flowers Senior Member

I took pills for weight loss.... years when I was a teenager. My family doctor kept me supplied, with my mothers support. It was dexedrine aka speed. Still I had a hard time with food. What I found was when I went to a nutritionist or someone else who would tell me what to eat, and what not to eat, it would be a huge trigger. So much of my food issues are around control over what I feed muself. So going to someone to tell me things always backfired. Thats just me.

What I finally am having success with is finding foods I like that are low in calories and carbs. Foods that satisfy me. Such as low cal chicken sausages. No sugars. No wheat. which are 2 foods I know I have to stay away from. Well, I have it all worked out for what foods I can get where I live. eg fat free feta cheese that I use with other ingredients to make salad dressing. Or something i eat instead of ice cream that is just as satasfying. But has few calories and carbs. I became sort of an expert in finding what foods are low cal and low carb. And I was in charge of it. I am not saying thats a sure remedy. Still I have huge triggers. I am sorry you struggle with this issue. I think its very painful. Have you ever considered overeaters annynomous? OA? I personally didnt relate to it. But for those who do, it can be life changing.

Finally, yesterday I joined the forum of the national eating disorders website. I started a thread introducing myself and asking for where I can find info on what support is available online and on the phone. I got a very nice response. The person supplied a link. I will pass it on to you, and others who might be interested. http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/find-treatment/support-groups-research-studies
    If you do not live in an area listed on the dropdown menu, I would recommend choosing anything. Because I noticed that there are some online groups listed as well, for my area. I cannot vouch for any of the groups that are listed. This is all new info to me. But the website did seem quite caring. As was the response I got. Wishing best to you. You have my support !! :hug:

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2013
  8. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

I have to say I relate to you on that, in the sense that I hate eating and yet I'm so hungry all the time. If I could live without eating, I would be fine. I don't enjoy food that much. But my body needs it.

Can you tell that nutritionist that you are having a hard time with what she recommended, and can she recommend something that will keep you full in between meals?

or maybe you're anxious? anxiety can make you hungry...you need to occupy yourself, when you're occupied, you don't think about food and don't feel hungry...just a thought though...

9. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

Saying 'I can't stop overeating' - in my eyes (and therefore only my opinion, doesn't make it right or wrong), is like you want to find something else to blame the excessive eating on. However, who is ultimately responsible for the majority of the food that makes it down an individuals throat? They are. It's like saying someone can't stop smoking when they physically put a cigarette to their mouth. The same applies with food.

Some of these suggestions are really good. There is another thing that might need to be considered though. Sometimes, the stomach suggests we are hungry, when in reality we are dehydrated and a glass of water could help. Is it a possibility that you do not drink enough?

10. Theodora

Theodora Well-Known Member

This is just your opinion as you say. In my opinion it's not a sympathetic one. I have no idea what your problems include but how would you feel if I said that all you needed to do was pull yourself together and stop making a fuss?

11. morning rush

I highly disagree with what you just said. Addiction is more than blame. Addiction is a force that makes you do things against your will. Like smokers are addicted to nicotine. Some really want to stop but can't because it's hard. They aren't blaming others by saying they can't stop. It has nothing to do with blame.

As for food, it's the same, people can be addicted to food...it's hard to break a habit that was installed since you were little. It could be all sorts of reason why she's hungry, maybe it's the pills she takes, some pills side effect makes you hungry no matter how much you eat.

12. flowers

flowers Senior Member

ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Thats all I am sayin' and :hug: for all my comrads who suffer with this ED. I do understand.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2013
  13. morning rush

I ate a lot of calories today :( and drank a lot of soda. Everytime I try to work on it, there's always a day that I throw everything out the window....I did go for a long walk and did some bicycling but still...I guess tomorrow is another day...

I have a meeting about the community supper for this month...we have to make something quick because there's a meeting before hand...so I was thinking pita bread (made from spelt or kamut) some fake cheese and veggies to make pizza and a fudge that is made with mushrooms and other veggies...

also planning to make a chocolate cake made with green peas and sweet potatoes. Maybe this will make me feel better or redeemed?

how's everyone else doing with ED?

14. Skyfire

Skyfire Active Member

I once lost 70lbs (31 kg), by eating a diet that was under 1800 calories per day, with less than 30g of carbs per day, low fat, and high in protein. That's basically a strict diet of lean meat, green vegetables, and lots of water. But even that was not enough to really make me lose weight until I exercised, at least 1 hour per day, more if you have time, both cardio and muscle-building exercises (I actually lost somewhat more than 70lbs of body fat, but I gain some weight back in muscle). The weight started falling off like sandbags off a hot air balloon.

Exercise is the key to everything; you can eat just right and the fat will still just sit there if you don't get up and move around. Get your heart rate up, sweat, make your muscles burn. If you can make yourself do it, its worth the pain.

I'll also tell you, that year when I was exercising daily, was the only time in my adult life when I wasn't having thoughts of suicide. I had energy, and I took an interest in the world around me again, I was going places and meeting people and taking care of things. I miss those days... It really makes a difference in your life in many ways if you can find the drive and desire to do it. And it seems like you have it. Go for it.

15. Skyfire

Skyfire Active Member

I understand your misconception, because our actions truly are our own responsibility. But in reality, addiction is much more difficult to control than you may imagine; once you have developed an addictive behavior, stopping it is a very serious mountain to climb. Your addiction becomes like breathing air, you come to the point where you need it, and you do it without even thinking about it or consciously realizing what you're doing. Some people can overcome addiction on their own, and that's a remarkable achievement, while others may need help to overcome it, and there is no shame in that. Yet either way, blaming the person, or disbelieving them when they say 'I can't stop' is counterproductive. You may not be able to imagine a situation in which you were incapable of stopping putting food in your mouth - but there are people who literally do experience that. The first step may be to tell oneself 'I CAN stop', but that is only the beginning of a very long haul up that hill.

The suggestion about the water is really good. A personal trainer I once knew also suggested drinking a full glass before every meal, it makes you feel full faster.

16. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

Do addictions start at birth? I'm not entirely sure how many would be possible from that point in time. As many addictions have started somewhere, not why they've started, but how they've started needs to be looked at. What makes it misconstrued as hard is more that people are reluctant to change, so they fight against the routine/habits that they've adopted over the different periods of time.

As someone who gave up smoking after 10 years, it can give that impression that because i've succeeded, others should be able to, but the impression that i'm trying to show is that these things can be done without excuses, without creating extra hassles or stresses, and with looking more at what we individually do. I'm not intent on blaming an individual for their choices either, it's not my right to do so, I'm only offering another viewpoint. Many don't like it because it takes into account their actions which have since fuelled the addictions, not the reasons they've chosen to do it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2013
  17. Skyfire

Skyfire Active Member

Congratulations on overcoming your addiction. I'm glad that you found a method that worked for you and you made it. However, telling people that they are making excuses or discussing their mistakes is not something that works for everyone, and can actually make the addictive behavior harder to combat for some people. Not everyone is able to start out that way; learning better coping strategies is essential, but even that is a step for later in the process. Early steps should focus more on positive interventions for getting healthier, rather than concentrating on the negative events and actions that led them to where they are now.

18. flowers

flowers Senior Member

I gave up smoking 13 years ago. What we were talking about in this thread is something entirely different. Sending blessings and light to you.

19. Pula

Pula Member

Do you want to try some new foods? I know how much you JUST want to eat. Eating makes your brain creates some hormones similar to drugs to make you feel better.
    I have a eating disorder, too. I've eaten everything whenever I feel bad since 14. Now I turned into scared of eating because food now only reminds me about bad memories then. I only can eat food without smell and taste. However, I think that my diet is quite healthy: I don't eat salt, sugar or any kind of fat, and drink lots of water (so it would be no taste). I also eat lots of only fresh and boiled vegetables. I eat fresh tofu instead of meat. Sometimes, I even eat bitter gourd if I feel sad. So if you're interested, you may try my diet.
    For me, it's some kind of punishment when eating like this, but it do makes me feel better in every depressed moments.

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2013
  20. flowers

flowers Senior Member

Hi. I do hope you are getting some kind of oil and carbs. Because the body needs that as well !!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.