I cant take compliments, Insecurity

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by someone87, Nov 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. someone87

someone87 Member

I was insecure the whole highschool and never got any compliments.. im not used to receive compliments and I have a hard time accepting them! I also have trouble with GIVING compliments..

Some people say I look good and some people look at me like im a monster? Im very insecure and I know people can actually FEEL my insecurity

so my idea was I give you 2 or 3 pictures of me and you say on a scale of 3 (1 is bad, 2 is normal 3 is good) how I look..

I know this sounds childish but im really insecure and I want a HONEST opinion. I hope this can help me even if its just a little! if you want to see a photo send me a private message because i want to stay anonymous

2. Oceans

Oceans Well-Known Member

I can relate to how you feel about not being able to accept and give compliments.

I believe we have an aura and if we are insecure, it permeates to warn others and if this is so then it has to happen the other way as well.

I am insecure about myself and and would rate myself low, so I don't think I have the ability to rate someone else's image. My rating would be unreliable and i don't think there is a reliable system to scale an image. We are imperfect creatures and something we have learn to accept. I, too have to remind myself this.

I hope you find that what matters most is how we perceive ourselves rather than allow others to determine it for us. This can be hard at first, i am having trouble myself but i am learning too because i can't find any other way around image.

3. d-pressed

d-pressed Well-Known Member

Hello

I don't mean to insult you, but don't I think your photo idea will help you. Ask yourself; if someone were to give you a 3 rating, would you believe them? Would it simply intensify your insecurity and mistrust of other people's opinions?

What I think what you need to do is talk it over with a therapist. You already recognise a part of the reason you find it difficult to accept compliments; you never got any at high school. However, also ask yourself, did you hold on to the nasty things people said and ignore what was positive? People often do that. By asking an opinion on a photo, are you insecure just about your self-image, or does that actually derive from somewhere else you should try to address?

Take care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.