I can't talk to people...

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by nezumiceplak, Jun 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nezumiceplak

nezumiceplak Member

I've suffered with depression for a few years... but recently it's got worse. Even if something good happens, it's like my mind works to make everything seem awful again. My friends don't understand that I actaully am depressed and not just in a bad mood now and then, so they basically just ignore me if I don't seem happy, or they have a go at me for it. Part of why I'm so down is due to family, so I can't talk to any of my family about it, and I don't want to talk to my boyfriend because I know how bad it makes him feel that he can't help me. However, I can't face going to the doctors and talking face to face with a stragner, and the last thing i want is anti-depressants. Besides, I always feel that people are just thinking that I'm too young to be depressed or to have a reason to be unhappy and that I'm just attention seaking. But I have no idea how to make myself feel better.

2. Insignificant

Insignificant Account Closed

if you don't mind me asking just how old you are. i know you don't want to see a doc and talk to a stranger, and take any anti-depressants but that just might be what it is going to take to get to feelin' better. i usually feel at least a little better after i have spoken to my therapist most of the time. i would also like to encourage you to keep your boyfriend (and parents) posted on just how you're feeling. you never know one of these times they just might suprise you and really do something that helps. anyways, keep posting as you feel the need we'll be here. please take care

3. nezumiceplak

nezumiceplak Member

I'm 17, so people tend to just say "yeah stupid teenager" so I keep my feelings hidden. I only talk to my mother, as my father is a pretty big part of my problem. But since I was a kid I've found it hard to admit any sort of feelings to anyone face to face. I wouldn't take anti-depressents because of the risk of gaining any weight, I'm already unhappy with myself so that would make me feel worse in the long run. I'm worried that, if I talk to my boyfriend about feeling unhappy at all every time, I'll end up pushing him away because he'll feel powerless.

4. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Hey Steph,
    I am sorry to hear you are at a all time low. Depression is a ugly disease. it sneeks up on you and tries to destroy you. It has already claimed so many.
    Let me start with you definitley need a therapist. Fighting depression is not something that is just going to go away. You have to work for it. You need to learn coping skills, thats where the therapist comes in. They will teach you things to help fight of the depression. I hope this helps you just a little!!:chopper:!!

5. Insignificant

Insignificant Account Closed

you are young but not as young as i thought. just be assertive with your mother. i'm here to tell you most meds will not cause you to gain weight. that is something to can check on before you ever start taking them, but i would still look into it. after all if it can help isn't it worth it? i think so. i've been taking meds for about 10 yrs now and only one med i have ever taken made me gain weight. anyways, i hear ya about your boyfriend to. maybe you don't need to make it a very deep conversation but try to stay in touch with him. please please take care and stay safe.

6. Rachael41

Rachael41 Well-Known Member

Im 17 too, and i get what ur feeling :( I cant talk to anyone either.....except ppl on this, and one friend....but thats only because he feels the way i do :(

sometimes if im unhappy my friends r just the same and either moan at me about it, or jst ignore how i act :(
    I dont speak to anyone either, but i no i should?
    I think that u should too, its difficult though.......Your boyfriend seems to care a lot, so i think u can trust him enough to talk to him..

Honestly sometimes just talkin about it helps...:) it takes a bit of the weight off ur shoulders..:)

pm me if u ever need to talk :)

7. andyc68

andyc68 Guest

use the support that is offered hun, even the a/d's will help to keep you stable to sort things out.

8. Anime-Zodiac

Anime-Zodiac Well-Known Member

Well it's a good thing your here cuz there are plenty of people who can relate to you and perhaps you can get things of your shoulders whilst your on here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.