i cant tell my mum now surely?!

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by xXxJJxXx, Aug 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xXxJJxXx

xXxJJxXx Active Member

i havent cut in ages but ive been lucky because quite a few of the cuts didnt scar much though i do have some really obvious one. my dad mentioned the scars on my arms at dinner (they dont know ive had this problem) my mum turned round laughing her head off and goes "her lifes been sooo bad shes self harming". i tried to laugh but now i dont think i could ever tell her, or at least she wouldnt believe me. has anyone been in a similar situation? how did you deal with it?
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2009
  2. grinded serenity

grinded serenity Well-Known Member

last night my dad noticed ive been wearing long sleeves for a while. he asks me if its cause i cut myself and i shook it off by saying i got a huge tattoo.

its best, in my opinion, to just shake it off.
  3. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

Ouch. :hug:

I'm guessing your Mum had no idea which is why she laughed it off, that doesn't make it ok.

Families do usually notice if you wear long sleeves all the time. I remember when my uncle confronted me about wearing long sleeves in the summer ... he turned around to me and says "if I ever find our you're cutting yourself I'll break every bone in your body" Nice guy eh :dry:

At the end of the day though, they care about you and love you. When you feel ready to talk to them about it, I am sure they will be supportive. Remember it is very hard for people who don't self harm, to understand it .. so don't be surprised if they can't get their heads around it.

Good luck.
  4. Rose24

Rose24 Chat & Forum Buddy

:hug: parents never seem to think their kids would ever do something like that, they seem to like to think that their children are happy just like any other child out there. I used to have quite a severe eating disorder when I was at school and even when I was down to 98lbs and the teachers rang up home, my mother still stayed in denial!!

I bet if you told her, it would shake her world. She probably thinks you’re so perfect and happy; perhaps sharing your pain wouldn’t be such a bad thing-even if it is going to be tough. She’ll find out sooner or later, it’ll be better if she hears it from you in the context of “I really want to get better”

Take care dear

5. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

once you tell her and maybe have some written material to explain why you do this she will get you help. Tell her you want to stop and need help a therapist to talk to who will help you to heal. I know it will be hard on your mom to hear this but it is better than having her walk in someday and see you do it that is what happened to me. i walk in on my daughter and was terrified but now understand it with education and i know your mom will help you if you tell her. If not go to a councillor at school and get help that way.
  6. LDA

LDA Well-Known Member

I've hidden my burns and cuts from my grandmother for two years by wearing long sleeves even in the summer. It is possible and much more convenient than telling them.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.