I cheated.

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Breathe Me, Dec 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Breathe Me

Breathe Me Member

I hadn't cut myself for over two months. And I was happy with that. I told myself I wasn't gonna do it at all anymore.

But when I felt bad again, I did something else. I burned my skin away with deodorant. It hurt like hell, and it felt good, but now I feel bad for cheating.

What can I do to make sure I will never cheat on myself again, because I really don't want to do this anymore.

2. FrostyGrunt

FrostyGrunt Member

There's really nothing you can do to go cold turkey on self harming, it takes months if not years to remove and replace an emotional coping mechanism like that with something else less damaging. And anyone here who tries to explain the psycho therapy you have to drag yourself through to accomplish this is fooling themselves into believing they understand it. This is why we have professionals, I suggest you go talk to one of them. You certainly won't find any here.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2008
  3. Starlightx

Starlightx Member

Hey,

Congrats on the two months, that's a huge accomplishment. Going any length of time without self-harm requires strength, and once you've acquired that strength, nothing can take it away. Keep that in mind, yeah? Slip-ups do happen to everyone; stopping isn't easy.

Next time you have an urge...first, try to figure out what's triggering you. Take deep breaths and keep yourself calm, and away from anything you could use to harm yourself. Maybe call a friend or talk with someone to keep your mind off hurting yourself. Take a walk, go for fresh air...anything that keeps you distracted.

Don't get discouraged because of a slip-up; keep fighting, you can beat this.

Take care of yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.