I could use an opinion...re:body mods *poss. trig?*

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by BelovedDreamer, Oct 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BelovedDreamer

BelovedDreamer Well-Known Member

I know this has been brought up before, but...

So, I know most people don't count tattooing and piercing as a form of deliberate self-injury. And I see a lot of the obvious points, i.e. you're not actually doing the injury yourself. Though you are paying and choosing to have it done. Some people say the aesthetic value negates it. I've never quite gotten this logic, since I personally often view my cutting as something very akin to art and never do it haphazardly. I find some of the scarring oddly beautiful, though I suppose that is rather an added unhealthy view. But anyway, my question is, setting aside piercing and tattooing, where do some of the more extreme forms of body modification fall? Like scarification and branding. You are paying someone to cut or burn you and some of the aftercare which can last weeks and months can be extremely painful and punishing. Where is the line?

2. Will

Will Staff Alumni

Personally, I think Self-Harm is all mental.

Cutting, burning, and anything else you can throw in...if you're doing it to cope or distract from the current situation, it's self harm (given it is harm). If you go to a Tatoo Parlor and intend to get a piercing or tatoo to hurt yourself, mentally, you're choosing to put yourself in that position, and you want that pain to suffice your craving, then yes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.