I Didn't Notice I had an Anxiety Disorder

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Sica, Feb 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sica

Sica Well-Known Member

It makes so much more sense now, I remember when I was little I used to be so scared of people, regular tasks were hard for me, and I felt guilty all the time for the tiniest things. It makes sense how I came to being so anxious and paranoid, my childhood was far from sweet and innocent. There are things some children shouldn't ever experience or have knowledge of. Thankfully, I was a dense kid, as they say ignorance is bliss.

I feel unkind of dumb for not seeing how unrealistic my thoughts were, although I still can't look people in the eye if i'm walking down the street. Except when i'm really pissed at someone, ie local drug deal who likes to stare at my sister, it's okay now he got the message after I threaten to call immigration on him with his Full name, cars license plates, facial description of him & his family, photo's, and home address--even though I already did weeks ago >:] Yeah, I know I have a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde thing going on, so moving on.

I also rarely eat in public or talk; which sucks since I have to constantly fly for work by myself-surrounded by people I don't know-But I guess having to expose myself has made it more tolerable for me to be around people. I'm not as painfully shy or scared as I used to be, I'm just glad I know that I can treat my anxiety disorder. If anyone has any tips on how they've learned how to cope with their anxiety, other than avoiding it or with medication, I'd like to hear it :)
  2. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

This is something i've been fighting for a very long time. Sometimes if you find yourself in the social situations that trigger your anxiety it helps to just try and find a way to get away from it for just a few minutes, focus on your breathing and then get back to what you're doing. If you're shopping its a good idea to just focus on what you need to buy rather than the people. As for the eating in public thing... I still have a hard time with that and haven't figured out the best way to deal with it yet. Really there is all kinds of ways to deal with anxiety you just need to find what works best for you.
  3. Sica

Sica Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip! I'll try it out tomorrow when I go to the gym, I usually go at night when there's no one there. Though one my triggers is having to talk to or be close to someone who's close to my age and/or a person who acts obnoxious and immature and sometimes their whispers get to me not as often now, but I used to be picked on by my peers in high school, which is how I have that trigger. The eating thing I kinda know how to get around, but it usually involves you being so hungry you just don't give a rats ass, find a table not facing anyone, and eat lol.
  4. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Bring a friend along and do things that are hard for you. Having a friend nearby drops my anxiety to virtually zero, even if they're just standing back while I do something (and sometimes even when the friend inspires anxiety! Such as when I'm meeting them in person for the first time.), and then I can do things that are hard/impossible for me and gain practice. Then when I'm alone it'll be easier since it's familiar, though maybe still rather anxiety-producing.

But anxiety medication usually has no real side effects and it's cheap - but ironically, people with anxiety are anxious about using anti-anxiety drugs! I'd suggest you at the very least look into it, it makes a world of difference.
  5. I feel your pain man. I have generalized anxiety diorder brought on by my parents fighting and my moms addiction to alcohol. Im 18 now and ive gone to therepy for two years. My mom has been in and out of jail but my biggest problems are when i get put under a large amount of stress. I can handle normal everyday activities, like school, and driving; but whenever my mom drinks, my parents fight, or things get rocky between a girlfriend and i, i get really anxious and dizzy. Also when i avoid contrentation and fights because it makes me very nervous as well.
  6. Monsieur

Monsieur Well-Known Member

Your childhood seems to sum up mine as well. I was really anxious about everything. It's no wonder that I grew up to be such a basket case lol. Aoeu's tip about bringing a friend is good advice as well. Usually when there's an anchor point in an unfamiliar situation or environment my anxiety drops dramatically.

Best of luck
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.