I do not know why I even post on SF anymore...

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Moat, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Moat

Moat Banned Member

People only view the threads and never even reply, so it is a waste of my time to post anything here anymore, not to mention other peoples' to read it when they do not even bother with a reply. Long or a short reply, does not matter. But no reply at all... Just seem useless and pointless and time consuming. This is the last post I will ever make on the forums and I will not be going back to the chat room; I do not see the point in any of it anymore, with all the social cliques people are forming.
    I might as well stay off-line and fight with my own thoughts and emotions, like I used to - at least that way, I know someone is listening and replying to anything I say, even if it is just myself).
    I hate giving up on SF when there are so many wonderful and kind and friendly and caring people here, but after browsing the forums and seeing how much the views out-number the responses, there is definitely a decline in the site from people who actually give their all to try and help and comfort others.
    It is a sad day indeed, with such a wonderful site that was once so helpful turn out like this. :-(
    I really hope that SF picks up in the future and returns to how it used to be.

This has your friendly Powerpuff Hirl representative, Vaz (and Bubbles) signing off.
    Those who know me well enough, I will miss you a lot and wish you nothing but peaches and cream (smiles and good times) for the future.

Despite this, I really hope that SF continues to thrive, in a more active way, out of courtest to mBell Nut and all the others who take the time out of their own lives to help complete strangers in their time of need. They all should be commended for their work, so give them a hug, a word of kindness or something that lets them know just how much they are appreciated for all they do.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2016
  2. MisterBGone

Hey Moat!

I'm sorry to hear that you feel this way. But I can understand why. Do you know if the number of views per thread includes guests? That might explain some of it. Perhaps we're in a cycle where there's not a lot of people around who are used to way things work, or those that are, just are not feeling that conversational. I think it takes some time for everybody new here to figure out what they want to say, and if they want to say it, how they should say it. Also, I think you mentioned it being summertime where you're from? Well, where I live it gets dark about half past four in the afternoon, and the sun doesn't come up again until darn near eight in the morning. So, that's a little over 8 hours of daylight, and many people suffer from seasonal depressions as a result of this. A lot of us hibernate. And even those with no mental health conditions are affected. That may contribute some to what you are speaking of in reference to an explanation. I know it doesn't help much, and I'm sorry for that. I wish you well going forward.
  3. Zaheer

Zaheer Account Closed

I read posts but almost never reply .. because I dont know how to reply ..often posts are about bad experiences people have .. my reply(in my opinion) cannot make them feel better .. I tried replying with one or two word one day ..but then mods deleted it (as they see it unnecessary I guess)

so until my writing skills improve .. I guess I will just be reading
  4. Cicada 3301

Cicada 3301 Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

I do hope you change your mind moat. It is nice seeing you around on the forums and in chat. Some of your recent threads have been great. I hope you'll keep us updated on your progress. Of course no one can make you stay, so I'll wish you the best of luck for everything you're doing and more than anything I hope you are able to win your fight. Know that SF is always here for you and if you want to talk, about anything, you can always send me PM. Take care and look after yourself.
  5. Moat

Moat Banned Member

You should just write from your heart, in regard to what some people post. I can understand that sometimes certain posts are extra difficult to reply to in terms of trying to help people, but for other posts, even a kind word or action can make all the difference in the word (I learnt that from experience some years ago when replying to certain posts here), and even if your writing skills are not up to par as you would like, as lng as your heart is in your reply, that is all that matters, I have found.

Yes, you are right in what you say, in regards to time zones, how some people are not used to the way things work on SF and I cannot fault for that (I have no right to), and truth to tell, I did not give a thought that some views could have been from guests (or unregistered members - maybe that should be changed, so that only members are allowed to read the threads people posts and the forums in general - like the letters to the Administration forum category, in which you cannot see what any other member has posted there but for your own post... if you have ever posted one on there), so I suppose you make a valid point in that regard.
    Still, with the number of members who are online at any given time (given that members are from all over the World and the majority speak, or at least know basic English), I do not fault them either, but certain posts, as I said above in reply to my quote from ZaHeeR, a kind word or two can go a long way, especially when even if it is just one or two words, seeing that you have a reply as opposed to replies: 0 and views: 28+ (random number there) does go a long way in helping the self-esteem of the member who did create the thread that makes them feel like someone does care enough to post, even if it is short and does not really do much in the way of helping to tackle the topic of thread itself.

Either way, it does not really matter; all I wish for SF is to become once the kind of place it used to be, where members and staff alike, (though they do in fact make a point to reply as often as they can and with as much compassion as they can for whatever thread they are replying in), it just seems to me that nowadays, SF seems more about talking in the chat and forming cliques between people and ignoring all others.

It is no one's fault, really, it just seems to be the way things go everywhere, but SF... while it is good to form cliques now and again with people you have a rapport with, should not just confine yourself to one circle of friends,when everyone on SF is, in a way, family, and we are all connected by our troubles and problems and handicaps, though they differ largely.
    Become a family again, everyone - members and staff alike; that was the spirit and essence of what SF used to be.
  6. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

One thuing to remember about watching the views vs replies, depending on where , most of the forum can be read without logging in or by non-members even. These viewers cannot reply unless they choose to make an account and/or sign in. Many many people are too scared to make an account but get a lot of benefit from reading and just seeing they are not alone. Sadly, that makes the benefit somewhat one sided , but often over times these are the people that do eventually become members that participate. If you are unhappy with response sand is not supporting as you think it should or you need anymore then I completely understand and your time and efforts need to go where you feel helped and supported, just please do not make that choice based on a ratio that has nothing to do with the number of people that even can reply.

So far as why people that cannot reply are allowed to read- because it lets them know what is here - so they can determine if it is there type of site or not, and also as stated, it helps a lot of people a LOT to just know they are not alone, even if they are not ready to talk themselves yet.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2016
  7. Moat

Moat Banned Member

I am not basing it on the people who, as you say, cannot reply, because they are not registered and only read threads as guests... It does not matter, forget I even brought it up...
  8. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Sometimes Moat when i read post i cannot reply because i am not well mentally or too depressed to respond as some people are here I read post because they help sometimes show me i am not alone so your post do help others just they cannot say it that all
  9. sofie

sofie Banned Member

I feel like the forum is ignored by most.....not sure why but seems to be.
  10. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

Every forum I have ever looked at, the number of post views outweighs the number of replies by hundreds. I think partly it is human nature but partly here it is because even registered members are, by nature of the site, often people who are anxious, scared, socially awkward and struggling and depressed themselves - the effort to write a forum reply is considerable (in my opinion).

Of course, it is a vicious circle if people do not reply or post on the forum because they feel like posts do not get enough replies - then the posts get even fewer replies - etc etc. I am sorry that you feel this way Moat - but I don't think that people reading and not replying is an indication of people not caring or not wanting to give support as much as that knowing what to say, how to say it, whether to say it - its hard, especially for people here.

Of course, many many thanks to you and the other people who do post on the forum and reply to other people's posts to give support.
    2 people like this.
  11. carebear35

carebear35 Active Member

I'm sorry you want to leave. To be honest I feel the same way you do. I sometime feel that people don't reply to me, because they don't like what I write (of course this is part of my disorder) I've often thought of leaving too, but I believe in giving people chances (maybe I'm a fool)