I don't feel safe here anymore (abuse tw)

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by undercoverlover, May 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. undercoverlover

undercoverlover Well-Known Member

im starting to think my family, especially my mom, is abusive. my mother constantly yells at me for things that are not my fault, throws things around knowing that it triggers flashbacks and panic attacks, constantly calls me a burden for being mentally ill and disabled, and makes all my problems about her. if i try to call her out, she blames it on me. My sister is excusing her actions too, and doesn't believe me when i tell her the worst of it. my mom restricts my access to doctors and pain medication (i have a chronic pain condition called ehlers danlos syndrome) and accuses me of faking my seizures (im epileptic). my dad tracks my phone and internet history, and i think my mom has been reading my twitter despite it being on private (although that is not confirmed). im 17, so i will be out soon, but i feel like freedom is not coming fast enough. i don't know how to stay safe in the meantime and it's starting to wear me down
    i plan to bring it up with my therapist and psychiatrist next time i see them, but i don't know how it will go

2. Rockclimbinggirl

Rockclimbinggirl SF climber Staff Member Safety & Support

*hugs* Yes, that sounds like abuse to me. Maybe look into other housing options and bring your suggestions to therapist and psychiatrist.

3. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

I am sorry to say, but this sounds exactly like emotional abuse. I'm really sorry you have to endure that.

Is there anyway you can move away from that? You deserve a lot better than this! Is there a family member you can stay with until you can move out and become legally independant?

You definitely should talk to your therapist about this. These are things that needs to be dealt with, not only by getting away from it, but you need to mentally deal with this too.

Stay strong hun! *hugs*

4. undercoverlover

thank you everybody! it's nice to have my suspicions about their actions validated, as scary as it is.
    i don't have a family member i can move in with (all my relatives live several miles away, and most of them are physically abusive). I have a few friends i could stay with, but they couldn't legally house me without my parents permission. i am trying to work as many hours as i can, and even taking up a second job so i can become independent sooner and be out of the house more. I'll update you all on the meeting with my therapist

5. Rockclimbinggirl

I'm not sure where you are, but have you double checked this. You are 17.

6. undercoverlover

I live in Indiana, US. i have been searching and cannot find an answer in regards to the law of leaving home at this age

7. Rockclimbinggirl

http://www.in.gov/dcs/2971.htm
    They have a hotline you can call.

8. undercoverlover

9. undercoverlover

update: I saw my therapist today, unfortunately he didn't think it was that big of a deal. He is seeing my parents as well though, so it's wise for me to see someone else. I called a child abuse hotline and they also recommended i report my mother. Meanwhile the abuse has been getting worse, two nights in a row she has refused to take me to the ER for physical problems, I did finally go in the other day though and got some help. I'll update again after talking with my psychiatrist

10. Rockclimbinggirl

Do not see the same person as your parents. Can you go to your school counsellor or teachers at school? Did you tell the ER doctor what's going on?

CoolGoat995 likes this.
  11. undercoverlover

Im currently seeking another therapist. I don't go to school anymore bc of health issues, but I'll be back next year. I almost told my GP yesterday but got scared

CoolGoat995 likes this.
  12. CoolGoat995

CoolGoat995 Member

Any therapist who thinks its not a big deal is a fool. Good idea, seeking out a new one. You need someone who understands u

undercoverlover likes this.
  13. undercoverlover

thank you. im trying to distance myself from my mom but it's proving difficult. only about half a year until im 18, though. hopefully by then I'll be seizure free and won't have to rely on my mom/the bus for transportation. right now im working on everything I can to become independent

14. You know people always say love your family,i say why love a family or someone who wants to argue with you?I believe mothers,sisters feel when its their home they believe they can just run over you without thinking about YOUR feelings.I would suggest you look for other housing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.