• Please read the thread in Forum News and Announcements pertaining to race related discussion on SF - thank you :)

I don't get it.

Havoc

First of all, hello again. I'm sure there isn't anyone that remembers me as I wasn't around very long, but I found this forum a couple years ago and was around a bit then. I stopped coming here for reasons that have nothing to do with this forum and then I kind of forgot about it. Something reminded me of this place and I've spent the last couple hours reading various things and I guess I'm posting now, I don't know. Anyways...

As the title says, I just do not get it. I work at a crappy retail job. It has always been pretty bad but recently has becomes a living nightmare. Maybe it is due to the current state of the world but I am getting tired of it. In just the past week I have had someone threaten to shoot me, people throwing things at me, and someone tell me that I should just kill myself. It feels like customers come in here just to try and make my work day as horrible as they possibly can. Management here doesn't really help either. They're constantly on me about every little thing and putting more and more pressure on me. If I ever speak up and say something I'm told that the world is crazy right now and I need to "cut people some slack". Where's my slack? Where's my break? Why am I the one in the wrong for not wanting to be treated like trash? Is this how it's supposed to be? Maybe I am the one that is wrong. Who am I to argue with everybody? Majority rules, right? It makes me start to think that maybe I am just the human equivalent of trash and people treat me like this because they know that's just how it should be.

I constantly think of how much better it would be to quit my job but it wouldn't change anything. I would enjoy for a day or so before I had to just get another one and then it would just be the same thing all over again. It's been 5 years now since I lost everything and I still can't really think of a reason that I'm still here. The thought of bringing it all to an end feels like a way to freedom. Why haven't I done it yet? Do I really have anything worth sticking around for? What's stopping me? I ask myself these questions constantly but ultimately decide for whatever reason to continue on with whatever kind of existence I have. Is that the right choice? If so, what do I do now? Do I just continue to exist for the sole purpose of being a dumping grounds for all these peoples frustration? People always say that you should keep moving and that it will get better one day. Will it? How do you know?

Sorry for ranting, it's something I do apparently.

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Forum Pro
SF Supporter
sometimes there's nothing to get. as for your job i get that it sucks. try looking for a better job while still employed. that is what i did worked and was always on the look out for a better job.

the world is crazy right now. they have some vaccines they are going to try next month. sooner or later things will get back to normal. and knowing that we can end it can be very comforting but not safe to do....mike...

GMody

Try to develop a hobby which you like. Try getting a job which suits you. What about therapy? A good therapist who cares and addresses your feelings and concerns. Join a support group. Like a church choir. Mild antidepressant may also help. The current situation namely Covid 19 pandemic will eventually end. Matter of time.

MosesY

Functioning Alcoholic
SF Supporter
I would like to face it, the world is never going back to "Normal". This pandemic has changed everything. It is because of the publicity it received and the way that publicity was managed. It is not going to go away for a year or two and the world is forever changed. People are more rude, there is more fear, there is the race antagonism, there will be huge repercussions from the amount of money the governments are spending, repercussions from shutting down businesses, etc.

I have to adapt to those changes. I have to evolve with the world. I have to be the love and compassion I want to see in the world; no rudeness here.

Not one person is trash. Nobody is trash. If you believe you are trash, that is a lie from the devil. Think of all the good you have done. You work hard at your job, you care about the quality of the work you do. You are doing the best that you know how in the face of huge obstacles. There is a lot of good in you.

I believe I need to face it, there is stress at any job. I would write down the pros and cons of your job and see if you are better off finding a different job. I have stress at my job; I am a woodworker; it is dusty work, hot during the summer, there is pressure to work harder and faster all the time, they are making huge changes at the company I work for and I am not sure where I will end up in it. Very stressful. On the other hand it pays my bills, I do the best I can and there is some reward in that, the supervisor occasionally praises me, the management respects me, etc; I am not going to look for a different job. The thing with having a job is that you know what you have and to some extent are used to it. If you get a new job you don't really know what you are getting into; this keeps people trapped in jobs they don't like. You have to weigh the pros and cons and see if it would be worth finding a different job.

I hope that your life gets better soon, that you can find ways to be happy. Hugs to you.

the.end.ish

Misknown Member
First of all, hello again. I'm sure there isn't anyone that remembers me as I wasn't around very long, but I found this forum a couple years ago and was around a bit then. I stopped coming here for reasons that have nothing to do with this forum and then I kind of forgot about it. Something reminded me of this place and I've spent the last couple hours reading various things and I guess I'm posting now, I don't know. Anyways...

As the title says, I just do not get it. I work at a crappy retail job. It has always been pretty bad but recently has becomes a living nightmare. Maybe it is due to the current state of the world but I am getting tired of it. In just the past week I have had someone threaten to shoot me, people throwing things at me, and someone tell me that I should just kill myself. It feels like customers come in here just to try and make my work day as horrible as they possibly can. Management here doesn't really help either. They're constantly on me about every little thing and putting more and more pressure on me. If I ever speak up and say something I'm told that the world is crazy right now and I need to "cut people some slack". Where's my slack? Where's my break? Why am I the one in the wrong for not wanting to be treated like trash? Is this how it's supposed to be? Maybe I am the one that is wrong. Who am I to argue with everybody? Majority rules, right? It makes me start to think that maybe I am just the human equivalent of trash and people treat me like this because they know that's just how it should be.

I constantly think of how much better it would be to quit my job but it wouldn't change anything. I would enjoy for a day or so before I had to just get another one and then it would just be the same thing all over again. It's been 5 years now since I lost everything and I still can't really think of a reason that I'm still here. The thought of bringing it all to an end feels like a way to freedom. Why haven't I done it yet? Do I really have anything worth sticking around for? What's stopping me? I ask myself these questions constantly but ultimately decide for whatever reason to continue on with whatever kind of existence I have. Is that the right choice? If so, what do I do now? Do I just continue to exist for the sole purpose of being a dumping grounds for all these peoples frustration? People always say that you should keep moving and that it will get better one day. Will it? How do you know?

Sorry for ranting, it's something I do apparently.
Excuse my language, but fuck customers that think they can treat employees like crap simply because they know for the most part you have to stand there and take it or possibly lose your job. They're cowards. Sorry you have to put up with that. I've had jobs where managers were more than happy to throw you to the wolves and I'm so glad I'm gone. But I realize this might not be an option for you. If it is, I'd say it's worth looking for another job.

You're not trash. Especially for demanding to be treated like a human being. To be treated with respect. You deserve to be treated well. If anyone says otherwise they dont deserve your time or thoughts

Sunspots

Pffffeckn amazin
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Hey, I remember you *hug
I'm glad you've remembered us and have come back when you need some support.

I'm sorry you're being treated so badly at work, there is absolutely no excuse for treating people like that. I've worked in retail and yeah, some people are just vile.

Do you have any support around you irl too? Family, friends, doctor etc?

DrownedFishOnFire

Back into the wild where I belong. Out of your way
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Just because you work in retail it does not give customers a right to walk over you nor give you abuse in any way any form. I do not work in retail and where I live we do not allow abuse to employees to go unchecked. Fellow customers will put them in check and we also have cellphone to video abusive customers and post it on social media. I think respect for the essential workers have grown. Just because someone is having a bad day does not excuse them to be shits to you.

Threats to shoot you, call the police immediately. No one has time to play around with it in todays time and age. Am sick and tired of immature people being allowed to threaten to shoot up people and its not put in check.

Hope you can still keep your head high and see there is still good customers out there.

Havoc

I'm not sure how it works anywhere else, but I have never ha another customer stand up for me or anything. Normally they just get angry at me too because whatever is going on is slowing down my ability to assist them and apparently everyone is always in a hurry these day. I'm not allowed to use my cell phone on company time for any reason so filming these customers is out of the question, not that management would care anyways. They simply suck up to the customer and give them free stuff for the "inconvenience of having to deal with an incompetent worker." It feels ridiculous but it's retail, I guess that's just how it goes.

As far as support from people, I don't really have any. I only associate with one person in my family and I only talk to him on rare occasions. He lives far away and I don't have much time to call people these days as I'm constantly being forced to work 14-18 hour shifts due to not having any coverage at work. The only friends I have moved to Japan years ago and have two kids now, so we have limited interaction. Due to the time zone difference, while they are awake during the day there, I'm at work on third shift here. Most of my free time is spent trying to force myself to get some small amount of sleep before going back to the hell hole that is work.

I could technically look for another job, but my options are limited. In my area, without any sort of schooling, I have the choice of retail, fast food, or factory work. Factory work wouldn't be so bad, but most of the supervisors at the factories nearby are the same customers that scream and throw things at me all the time, so assuming I even could get a job there, it would be the same hell that I'm at now. I just feel like there's nothing I can do but accept my lot in life as a professional punching bag for people. Maybe I should take some kind of solace in the fact that I may be helping to relieve some of their stress so maybe they'll yell at the net employee a bit less, I don't know.

I feel like I am just that guy that is complaining about everyone about everything. There are people that have it worse than I do and I'm sitting here whining like a four year old that got his toy taken from him. It's just that I'm having a hard time figuring why I work so hard to survive in this world when the world doesn't seem to want me. I mean, I work as hard as I can to pay my bills and survive but all I get out of it is pain, anger, and humiliation. Sorry for complaining about all this, I am just having trouble justifying letting it all continue.

the.end.ish

Misknown Member
You don't need to say sorry for complaining. This place is here for you to express yourself all over it. I used to feel the same way you did when I was in retail. It's a job and it seems silly speaking negatively about it because it gives us sustenance, but at the same time when it consumes over 60% of our lives then it is our life, and we should be critical of it. It's a big deal. It's not a small thing. You don't come off as whining. In my opinion, sustenance of our mind matters just as much as food and shelter.

I definitely think if your job is making you want to kill yourself, then it's time for a change.

Exactly, @Havoc . . . Life’s too short — if you can change jobs, do!!! : ) / I’ve worked lots of bad jobs before & I don’t ever look back & think, “if only I’d stayed longer—“ from another side of things. To piggy back of what you’re saying about people not stepping in & standing up for you - I can totally relate. . . As since this new world we’re all living in has begun, I’ve been targeted and harassed verbally no less than five times. Only once has anybody done or said anything. And I think that was only because she saw something that she definitely didn’t think was right & decided to take a stand and put that man in his entitled place— (she also may have remembered me, from when I used to frequent the more “upscale,” grocery store more!). But let me tell you... it was a very “foreign,” feeling to have anybody say, or do anything on your behalf. And (obviously) in a good way! :D

Havoc

I do wish I could just change jobs, but as I said my options here are all pretty much equally terrible. I have to have a job that is within walking distance as my car is on it's last legs right now and that doesn't leave much. Sometimes I wish the place I work for would go out of business so I'd be forced to go somewhere else. I know that wouldn't happen and it would mean a lot of people losing their jobs of course, but sometimes I just want it to happen. Of course then I'd just be screwed, but whatever.

That being said, the past couple days haven't been so bad I suppose. My last work day went fine, no death threats or anything. I have a couple days off, so that's something. I'm wasting these days off just staring at the ceiling doing nothing, but still not at work I guess. I suppose I need to find a new hobby, but I just don't enjoy anything anymore. I used to be a gamer(still am I guess) but I don't enjoy it the way I used to. I've tried reading, golf, bowling, and even learned to play (if you can call it that) an instrument. Recently I've begun learning japanese for absolutely no reason at all, not that it counts as a hobby. Nothing I do though brings me any sort of enjoyment, so it kinda seems hopeless on that front.

I wish I could learn Japanese 🇯🇵!;) one of my favorite guitar 🎸 players moved there, like 15-20 years ago. . . & he’s apparently been on a ton of TV 📺 Shows, despite still being primarily a guitar player..;^) konicjiwa~^~*•> arrigsto! (;

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00