I Don't Get It

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Lovecraft, Nov 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

Why is it everyone seems to have a problem with self-harm? When practiced correctly, it offers a method of respite from problems that can not currently be dealt with. It's a little crude, yes, and not generally considered easy on the eyes for any that see its result, but it is still a funtional coping mechanism. I just keep it to my upper legs so that nobody does have to see it. All the people I met that supected me a cutter only checkec my arms, as if it were the only part of the body one could cut.

So is this just me? Am I the only one that sees it like a prescription medication in that it works, but has some inherent dangers worth the result?

2. Epical Taylz

Epical Taylz Well-Known Member

i think its because some people find it typically gruesome. my mom would check my wrists if i cut, and for a while i did it on my hip bone

i think they only check arms because in the movies and teevee shows, they cut on the arms. thats the "emo" steriotype that we're dealing with.

i happen to cut on my shoulders, because my dad doesnt like me showing them and other reasons.

3. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

Gruesome? I've never understood the idea that gore is disgusting or hideous. It's just the human figure with some damage. Is a car with a flat tire such a terrible sight?

Then again, feelings aren't bound to reason.

My point, really, is that you can conceal the wounds very easily with some thought and nobody ever has to know. What's so wrong with that?

4. levitated-one

levitated-one Well-Known Member

You wouldn't want to damage your own car all the time do you? For me, I've never self harmed or thought of it.. although I used to do it in another way, using drugs, alcohol and smoking. Now I don't do drugs nor alcohol, only occasionally smoke. If I want to self harm, it would be suicide, which I'll do once and for all.

Yes, it's only wounds and damage.. but the reason behind is pain. The emotional pain overwhelms the physical pain caused by you to yourself. The thing is, we have lots to learn and we need to realize it ourselves. It's personal..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.