I don't know how to cope.

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by lost_child, Feb 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lost_child

lost_child Well-Known Member

I hate that I have this, they tell me I've got DID, they tell me I have a severe personaility disorder, they tell me I have BPD...All i know is that I don't feel human, I do things I wouldn't normally do, I lose time, ppl say i talk differently and can act sometimes violent, sometimes childish, sometimes shy, sometimes this, sometimes that. I don't know who I am. tonight I'm scared, scared that I will kill myself tonight. Scared cause i don't know who I am, I don't understand what others would say is simple to understand, I don't understand or know how to deal with everyday life. Yeah I'm messed up, and people hate me cause there never know how I will be or will react.

I don't feel safe around me and i don't know how to cope.

2. plates

plates Well-Known Member

do you know how to ground yourself?

3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

:hug: Jody,

I hope you're feeling better today :hug:

4. Kemra

Kemra Well-Known Member

Hey lost, I know how it is to feel like your losing yourself and how scary it is when people tell you things you said and did that you can't remember. That loss of control, realising theres a part of you inside that you can never hope to understand. I can't tell you how to cope, because I can't cope with it myself, but there are things that make it bearable.

One thing is pets for some people, if you feel like your slipping feed them, pet them, hold them, talk to them, a pet can be a better friend than any human and you can tell them anything, just babble away if you like, cry with them, laugh, anything.

Another is distracting yourself, do things that you don't have to concentrate much on but make you think, computer games, dvd's, tv shows, books, music, don't let it be quiet.

Avoid triggers if you have any, mines random and usually without warning but for a lot of people its a defence mechanism, stress, worry, I met one guy who was triggered by meeting new people.

Last one I've used is go somewhere new and wander around, a park, or somewhere interesting, museum or library even, or even the net, keep busy and get a collection of sites to browse, online comics sound childish but are a nice grounding tool, probably would come under distractions.

I've never met anyone yet that has said 'recommended self-therapies' work, like meditation or soft music over a cup of tea, its not depression though depression can come from it. Main thing is that finding what grounds you will give you back a little control and a sense of self again, and if your unsure who you are at times think of your childhood, try and stick to pleasant or neutral memories and tell yourself that its YOU, when I'm not sure who I am I always consider me to be the one who remembers stuff from when I was a kid.

Hope some of that helps you even if only a little.

5. lost_child

lost_child Well-Known Member

I can try some of those thank you. I do try to keep the hosue noise as silence is worse. I also don't know triggers, i know a few but sometimes it happens and i can't work out why. sorry

6. k2hsharpe

k2hsharpe Antiquities Friend

" Yeah I'm messed up, and people hate me cause there never know how I will be or will react."

not messed up lost_child, but damaged by others, not your fault. It cannnot be easy knowing or believing people hate you, but perhaps this is true ... you are an opportunuity for the rest of us to know our humanity, to accept you without reservation and value you in our lives?

It is our fault, our shame if we fail, not yours

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.