I don't know what to think about my life

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Rockclimbinggirl, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Rockclimbinggirl

Rockclimbinggirl SF climber Staff Member Safety & Support

I thought that my childhood was normal until about a month ago. Now that I've realized that parts of it weren't normal, memories are starting to come back. A child shouldn't be told they are stupid and bad at certain things. A child shouldn't be scared that a parent might lash out at them.

I can't seem to recall any happy memories right now. I know that they exist, or at least I think they do. I can only remember bad ones, things I don't want to think about. One would think that remembering about one's birthday should bring back happy memories, but no. I can only seem to remember the one that involved an outburst.

It's like my entire world has been turned upside down. I don't know what to think, part of me wishes I had never discovered this. But part of me is also glad, since it explains so much about me.

I am so confused right now, I don't know what to think about all of this.

OCDNihilism likes this.
  2. normaljoe

normaljoe Well-Known Member

Well you can explore them an accept them for what they are, that you cant change them and that they have made you the wonderful person you are today. Forgiveness is your best bet. Hugs *

3. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

*hugs*

Hun, I can tell you that you are not alone with this. I know this is very overwhelming right now; but in time when you've worked through this with your therapist in a proper way you can be able to come to terms with things.
    As my boyfriend likes to tell me "You are you, you are not what happened to you". You may never be able to forget what happened to you, but you will be able to 'park' them and learn to accept it, and move on.
    You turned out to be a lovely person despite it all, don't forget that!

4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I'm sorry hun *hugs* I hope as the days and months go forward you will feel a bit better about all this but for now just stay in the present, the past has nothing new to tell us.