I don't like to be labeled

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by 5150incalif, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5150incalif

5150incalif Member

I don't like being labeled as mentally ill. I didn't realize what was happening to me but I began to see a trend. I do have lots of physical problems and had multiple surgeries. Before I even began to talk about how I feel, the conversation almost always turns to depression and antidepressants. I've been offered antidepressants multiple times. This wouldn't be an issue if I present myself as depressed, but the only indication is my medications. I'm on a low dose of Ativan. It is only recently that I began to feel labeled. I don't like being labeled. I just wished doctors didn't jump to a conclusion so quickly. I've been on antidepressants years ago. I feel doctors should be more careful in prescribing antidepressants. They are not the cure all as some seemingly feel it is. I'm not against these drugs, but I strongly feel they need to be carefully considered before offered. Although this bothers me, I feel the label of being mentally ill is more troubling to me. Maybe it just me, but people who are depressed aren't treated very well.

2. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

Society in general has never treated people with mental illnesses very well. They are only now beginning to accept it as a true illness, but there still is quite a stigma attatched to it. I think they are afraid it is catching or something. I believe it is because it is beyond the realm of understanding for those who have never experienced it. And the thought that someone would be willing to take their own life is frighteneing to them. Until we can change the mindset of society, labeling will always prove to be a problem. Hopefully we are on the right track.

3. Rainfly

Rainfly Member

Gentlelady is right. Society doesn't know how to handle people whose thoughts are so controversial. I think it's because modern society is built on lies and misguided principles and people like us on here only prove that fact.

No-one wants to hear anything that's going to highlight their own denials. More people suffer from mental illness than you think, but most are afraid to speak about it or even acknowledge it to themselves. And the last thing they want is someone who does acknowledge it and talk about, because it scares the sh*t out of them.

Don't pay heed to their labels, you are uinique, one of a kind. You are your very own god and no-one in this world can tell you who or what you are. That power is yours alone. Don't let them make you think you're faulty, the fault lies with them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.