I don't put a lot of trust into online tests...

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by meaningless-vessel, Oct 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

.. when it comes to things like IQ - or AQ (autism quotient)..

But having just done a test on an Aspergers test site - and also one based on autism - I ended both tests with a score of 37 out of 50. Both results would lean me towards having both aspergers and autism - and I'm left with a feeling of - "is that really possible?".

Should I pursue this through a doctors to confirm if I do or don't? Or should I just leave it? Would it possibly be linked into why even when I make new friends, they don't stick around for long?

It might also explain why I look for reasons and logic in things and how I understand best is through knowledge.

2. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

As someone who has interacted with you, seen you interact with others, read your posts and generally 'knows you' to some degree - I would say your instinct to put no faith in these tests is a good one. I have worked with autistic and aspergers and am familiar with the DSM 5 criteria for diagnosis of ASD. The fact that you have empathy for the emotional difficulties of others, that you are able to adapt your communication to the audience in most cases and that you identify a desire for more social interaction and better relationships, essentially means that you do not have ASD. Looking for reasons and logic and understanding via knowledge is actual very normal.

Even if you did, it is a disorder not a medical condition or illness - there is nothing a doctor would do for you I am afraid. You seem very well able in posts here to imagine the feelings of others and moderate your own emotional state. I would ignore the on-line diagnostic thing if I were you :hug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.