I don't think it's self-harm

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by toopainfultolive, Aug 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toopainfultolive

toopainfultolive Well-Known Member

I don't think it's self-harm. Cause I'm not a cutter. I never got up the courage to do so. Hold a penknife across my wrist many times in the deep night and I have only make the tiniest cuts ever. I used to hit the wall with my head. Nothing serious. No blood. I enjoy the throbbing headache that makes me weak and I have to lie down. Still, I don't think its self-harm cause I have got nothing to show. No one will believe me. That I'm hurt.
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

well it is self harm hun it does not have to show any physical effect to be that
    emotional self harm is just as bad too. I hope you get someone to help you heal that pain inside okay You should not have to fight this alone hugs
  3. toopainfultolive

well maybe its self-harm. invisible self-harm that no one will care abt cuz they prob dont believe it in the 1st place... besides i stopped long ago. it doesnt help with all the pain. i turn to milder ways,like pulling/cutting my hair. i hate hair, at least my own hair. its pretty ironic cuz i have hair on my arms and legs but i dont dislike them. its rather my hair on top of head and eyelashes that bothers me. is that a self-harm too? ha, i always tot i have some dislike to hair though i like furry stuff.
  4. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

Definitely self-harm.

Pulling your hair is called trichotillomania, and although it's classified as an Impulse Control Disorder (same family as OCD, but it's not OCD), I personally consider it a form of self-harm. I've had trichotillomania (and dermatillomania, skin picking) for eight years. I have no eyebrows and a permanent bald patch on my scalp, and often have no eyelashes either.

Although I no longer cut, if I could choose between cutting and pulling, I'd rather cut because the scars are easier to hide, and it's actually better understood than trying to explain you've caused your own baldness.

5. toopainfultolive

you make me laugh for the first time since long ago. can't imagine the day I go bald and much worse, have to explain it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.