I don't understand.

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Inner, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inner

Inner New Member

Hello,
    I've been looking for a place to ask/talk about this subject for quite sometime, as I don't feel comfortable talking about it to those I meet with on a regular basis its just not the sort subject you want to bring up, unless of course you want people running around trying to intervene.

The Question:
    Why do you care? (or from my perspective why do they care?)

Google for example 'suicide' and methods of how to best attache a painless passing away results in a multitude of intervention websites, just like this website in fact. My point however convoluted and obscure is that not one of you have ever met (them/me) why do you care about someones exist-ants whom you've never met and is nothing more than a carefully arranged collection of dots on a computer screen, too form words what makes you care about there arrangement to such an extent too stop them from their ultimate peace.

Looking forward to some sort of explanation for this.

Regards
    Inner

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

We care because we are in the same place as you are and we would want someone to reach out and say we matter You want the sadness to end we understand we can emphaxize with you we know your pain and we would not want that for anyone ok anyone You are not a carefully colletion of dots on a screen YOU are someone that deserves care and campassion as do we all

3. CD110

CD110 Well-Known Member

Because I've been in the same suicidal state of mind and can empathise. Also, personally, I feel that going through times of crisis tends to make one more humble and thoughtful, and that's the kind of person I'm drawn to. Yeah, I'm messed-up, but when it comes to company, give me a troubled needy person over some inconsiderate douchebag that's living it up, any day. Finally, just the fact that someone would consider ending their own existence rather than resort to stealing, lying or other antisocial behavior to solve their problems shows a kind of integrity.

4. skypenguin

skypenguin Member

From people I've known who volunteer for suicide hotlines it's because they lost a family member to suicide.

However I imagine it's also the reason professionals mentor younger people. It's a sense of giving, connection, and purpose that helps us feel more connected and important in a world that seems so lonely.

5. rtrt46546565

rtrt46546565 Well-Known Member

I believe that most people only pretend to care, for various reasons.

6. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Hiya, Inner. I have to respond with a question..."Why would I NOT care?" Especially if I could understand and empathize with someone who is feeling desperate? When someone is hurting, it bothers me, so I try to offer a kind word, support, a listening ear.

I think when people extend a helping hand, it offers hope to the person who is feeling really badly, and it reinforces hope in the person offering their caring. It makes the world just that much "kinder" when people help one another. So I care.

Life has ups and downs for everyone. Most bad situations turn out to be temporary. They don't feel temporary when we are in the middle of them, so people in the middle of an emotional situation are at risk of making a choice based on emotions alone. Our offering them care or support might prevent them from making a permanent decision for something that is bad but not permanent in itself. Feelings do settle down if we can allow ourselves some time. And once the feelings have settled somewhat, we might have a chance to consider constructive approaches to whatever turmoil life has given us.

So I care...to build hope, to allow for better chances and times...

7. Evanesce

Evanesce Well-Known Member

I care and do not see the people here as a bunch of connected dots.
    My thinking is that those of us that go through this emotional turmoil can't help but to care. When we are hurting really bad this is a safe place where people understand because we have all been through similar feelings. Everyone is worth the effort of giving help whether it be a listening ear to rant at or someone to bounce ideas off and help come up with ideas or a plan.
    Yes I know what it was like for me when I first came here. I had typed in search looking for ways to suicide and I came up with this link. It didn't say for methods but I clicked it anyway just as you did and maybe for the same reasons. Hard to believe that others who were hurting could show so much compassion and be so understanding and forgiving.
    You are worth the time.
    You do matter.
    You are real to me, as everyone here is.
    Helping others here and being helped is a way to connect and by doing that somehow feeling less alone and empty inside.
    It's a way to get encouragement and maybe find or learn something along the way that helps lessen those overwhelming feelings and thoughts that we get.

8. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

I care because I know how lonely it is to live with thoughts of suicide. The loneliness alone can make anyone want to die. I make my support and care known so that others know that they aren't alone. I share my testimony to show that suicidal thoughts aren't a life long plague.

I too used to believe the only peace is through physical death. I have found peace that can be attained while living, and I trust that others can as well. Most don't know that this is possible.

My peace comes from the wisdom of forgiveness. I held onto so much hurt, anger, rage, confusion, rejection, pain, brokenness for so long. It nearly destroyed me. But I gained wisdom from someone who is wise and He told me to forgive others and to forgive myself. Over the course of time I began putting this wisdom to practice and I have found it to be true.

This is my explanation. I hope it doesn't offend that I shared it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.