I don't understand.

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Unregistered21039012391, Mar 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I can't deal with people being nice to me, lately.

I want them to yell at me and call me names and tell me how much they hate me - that would make it so much better.

I do appreciate the effort, of course. I'm thankful for their kindness.

Somehow though, I've got a bit of an itching desire to be disliked, put down, and told that I'm worthless.

It's sick. I don't understand.

2. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

Sometimes when we don't feel good about ourselves, we have a hard time accepting things people say to us that are good. We have trouble accepting that good things can and do happen. The bad is what feels familiar and really, since it is the way we feel about ourselves, we are looking for thos feelings to be validated. When the validation doesn't come, we feel a bit angry about it. I am not saying this is necessarily true for you, but it is something I have noticed around this past year. I hope you find the understanding you need here. :hug:

3. Robin

Robin Guest

People suffering from depression are often incredibly critical of themselves, it's not just that they blame themselves for events in their past or present circumstances but they actively search for means to criticise and blame themselves over any detail they can. I have no idea why people do this but I do know that it happens but it's important to know that it is a symptom of depression.

Are you seeing anyone professional about these feelings? They can really help and although you may say that meds are not the answer, if you was prone to high blood pressure you wouldn't think twice to take pills to keep your blood pressure down, the same should be said for medication that helps with mental health disorders and illnesses.

4. Sammakko...

Sammakko... Guest

I do not want it either because that is acting and there is allways evil behind. I think that is also major reason why I do not understand people. I do not know when people laugh straight on my face.

5. ozbound

ozbound Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

I understand where your coming from I find praise and encouragment extremely frustrating. Because I know it's because of the way i'm feeling and it just feels so false. But how do you tell them to stop without hurting their feelings?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.