I don't understand.

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Vacuity, Aug 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vacuity

Vacuity Member

What is there to live for? What do "normal" people live for? What's the point in staying alive? Everything is so meaningless. I can't stand the pointlessness of everything. On top of that, I can't cope with my anxiety, and I have too much stuff going on right now. I am so fed up of being alive.

I guess my question is.. what do people live for?

Thanks

Natasha x

2. seithkein

seithkein Well-Known Member

It's a thing called hope. It may seem insignificant to you but hope is a very powerful thing. And also when you are not depressed, you tend to like life and enjoy it. what you're experiencing is a symptom of depression. I too feel the same about life.

3. Oceans

Oceans Well-Known Member

It is only when depression reigns in that these questions are close to the matter of life and death. I have asked myself these questions a million times and have search for "the answer" and i never seem satisfied with it. I have come to the same conclusion that life is meaninglessss but we are somewhat the artist in our own lives, so what do you want to live for? What would you like to have or happen to make life meaningful?

4. noplacetogo

noplacetogo Well-Known Member

The thing I believe most normal people want in this life is to live long enough to pass on their genes. This goes along with finding a life partner too and then buying a house and dog and all those things.

For me, I guess I live for... nothing basically. I just wake every morning and do what I have to do to wake the next day and do it again. i'm learning to accept it. Life is pointless and can only mean something if you put meaning into it. otherwise, nothing means anything, but maybe that's ok.

5. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Welcome Valcuity,
    What do I live for? My daughter, and grandaughter.I am trying to get around with a option to commit without hurting them!! My daughter has already told me if I try to commit again, that she would never forgive me!!
    Between them and my friends I have made here!! It has kept me from trying. My parents also as a deterent. I have made peice with them!! They are both in bad shape and I didn't want them to pass on thinking I am mad at them.
    My dad says he doesn't want one of his children to die before him. I am afraid that I can't help not doing that. I don't want to live like this!! I am having a major war in my head!! I have a hard time caring about others, when I get like this!! Good luck to you.

6. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

I get through my roughest depression or nerve pounding anxiety with calming diversions and indulgences. Bicycling, seeing a friend or wandering around the internet are diversions I find soothing. Being alone and watching a DVD or just sitting in a chair, putting music on a low volume, closing my eyes and informally meditating are my soothing indulgences.

I've heard of "the essentials" for happiness and a meaningful life- having someone to love, something to do and something to look forward to. I guess this is what gives "normal" people their reason to live but depression and anxiety impedes this tidy formula.

I would say try lose yourself in simple pleasures and keep posting and reach out to members here for support. :smile:

7. Anime-Zodiac

Anime-Zodiac Well-Known Member

People live for goals to achieve, ambitions and dreams to be filled, hope and to live out there life with as little regret as possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.