I drank 2/3 to 3/4 of a bottle of vodka per day every day

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by datto, Jan 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. datto

datto Member

I've only just quit after the doctor instructed me to taper off to 5 drinks a day for a week, and then 2 per day, before none. I've been prescribed Valium to help with the side effects like the shakes.

I only realised I had a real problem until I started getting the shakes, up until then I had been a very high functioning alcoholic (Holding down a job, stable relationship and finances etc.)

I had a moment of weakness last night and drank most of a bottle along with the Valium. This is because I can't stand the crippling depression and boredom that seems to have stemmed from the fact that alcohol was the only thing that made anything fun. I slept like 18 hours the other day, because there was no reason to get up.

I feel my girlfriend and I are drifting apart, because I've lost all motivation to do anything, even when we watch TV, I just stare into space not even watching the show. I have been diagnosed with depression and take tablets for it, but they don't help any more.

I don't care about myself or anything any more, and I'm afraid of what I might do....

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Time to try a different medication for your depression then and maybe some therapy hun don't lose what matters most to you ok get help with your addiction show your gf she is worth the fight hun YOu are worth the effort to get well

3. Moat

Moat Banned Member

That is all part of what it is when you have been living so long off something (in your case, alcohol) that you have grown so used to it, you do not know any other way to fill in your time. While it seems difficult right now, things will start to clear up as the last of the alcohol leaves your system and you start to adjust to a new life without it. What you need right now is time to give yourself an adjustment period of sobriety before you look into trying some kind of hobby or other positive extracurricular activity.

4. ryan.

ryan. Well-Known Member

wish i had some help or advice to offer, but im pretty well in the same boat; functioning alcoholic, just know you're not alone.

5. jnick

jnick Well-Known Member

i cant even drink anymore, HepC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.