I dream in cartoons

Discussion in 'Midnight Owl' started by Things, Jun 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Things

Things Well-Known Member

I don't understand the meaning of it.

I rarely have dreams where I actually do anything, if I'm there at all. Usually I'm watching something unfold, like I'm dreaming about myself playing a game. But I'm still not the main focus of the dream.

Most often, I dream with video game and cartoon characters. I rarely have "realistic" dreams that aren't nightmares. Even then, sometimes my cartoon dreams are also nightmares (usually with video game characters, like when they continually die/fail and I can't pause or turn off the game).

What does it mean? I've tried a dream dictionary, but it didn't explain much. It did say that I might be immature and that the appearance of these dreams reflect that (very likely).

I don't really know why I'm posting this. I just find it weird, maybe even slightly unsettling.

2. herbides

herbides Active Member

I don't think that dreaming in cartoons means you're immature. Do you watch cartoons/anime and/or play a lot of video games? It may just mean that you're used to that sort of visual environment from seeing it in your real life.

When I watch a lot of Korean dramas, my dreams will be in Korean (which I don't understand at all) and have English subtitles. When I spend a lot of time on the Internet, sometimes my dreams have pop-up advertisements that I have to "click" to close.

Since cartoons and video games are so vivid and interesting, I think it would be kind of cool to have that kind of dream.

But a video game-like dream could also be functioning like a metaphor that is significant in and of itself. For instance, the difference between video games and reality is that you have a mechanism to control what is happening on the screen. Unlike real life where if you want to do something like walk across the room you simply do it, in a video game you literally command your character to walk across the room. So there is an additional level of conscious control that we don't experience in real life. If the nightmarish aspect of these dreams is the break down of your ability to control the game, then I think that is kind of significant. Does that kind of situation have any relevance to how you feel in your day-to-day life?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.