I dropped two courses

Discussion in 'I Need Some Practical Advice' started by Mysticrose, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Mysticrose

Mysticrose Well-Known Member

I failed one of my tests and wrote a suicide note. I decided to ask for help, at the schools disability services. They suggested to drop one of my courses, DS then forced me to talk to the counselor first. The counselor forced me to go to the hospital. I was in the hospital for four days. It was not enjoyable either. There were some fights. A man came into my room a few times. One woman was nice at first. Then told me I was backstabbing her and will never leave the hospital. When I got out. I dropped the course I intended to drop at the beginning and decided to drop another course. I was doing well. But the work was overwhelming. I had an assignment due each week, Plus I work part time it was hard to complete them on time. Plus I missed so many days. It would be difficult to try catching up. That class takes up so much of my time I feel like that's one of the reason I failed one of my tests for the other class. I'm mad about it because it was after the deadline to drop courses so now I know I'm going to get an academic penalty. This wouldn't have happened if I wasn't forced to go to the hospital to begin with.
  2. may71

may71 Well-Known Member

Most schools have some provision for an emergency incomplete. If you had to drop the course because of being ill, they should either not charge you or give you the opportunity to finish at a later time.

If they don't, you may be able to make a legal claim against the school.
    Alwayswrong likes this.
  3. Rockclimbinggirl

Rockclimbinggirl SF climber Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

Can you petition to have the course taken off your transcript? Is there an academic advisor you can talk to?

I know at my uni you can.
    Alwayswrong likes this.
  4. JmpMster

JmpMster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Actually I am pretty sure that "hospitalization" making it not possible for you to hit the deadline will suffice for having it removed if you discuss it with somebody, and it was not days after the hospitalization you formally dropped it.
    Alwayswrong likes this.
  5. maria7231017

maria7231017 Member

I just recently had to petition my college for having two courses dropped off my transcript after dealing with weeks of grief after the suicide of my boyfriend. Reach out to a counselor or dean, its a tedious process but my school has ''late drop for medical reason''( which I think would work in your case because thats what mine was considered ) theres always a solution, if not then theres a plan b.