I feel like a failure.

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by dvnj22, Jan 27, 2013.

1. dvnj22

dvnj22 Well-Known Member

I know this may be stupid to some, but I feel like a failure because of not wanting to have kids, I mean if life is meant to just be about survival and reproduction, doesn't that mean I'm a failure if I never have kids? I've been obsessing about this for days and can't find answer. I mean is this scientific or rational?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2013
  2. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

Lots of people don't have kids. Some people can't have kids. Some people shouldn't have kids.

Life is about whatever you make it about. For me, having children and raising a family was important - actually, I don't even know if it was important, it is just what happened (no regrets though). My uncle, who's one of my best friends, never had any children and he is far from a failure... in fact, he is more than just successful (more successful than anyone else in my family - and we have no failures).

Life is what you choose for it to be. Life is about finding that niche that fits you best and then working hard to fulfill it. To some, success is wealth. Nothing wrong with that. To others, it's just simply being happy - that may mean having next to nothing.

To me, being successful and not a "failure" means making something of your life, being honest, contributing to the well being of the world, and being true to yourself.

There is no simple "failure" label simply for not having any children.