I feel like an idiot really

Discussion in 'Welcome' started by Dadof4, Nov 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dadof4

Dadof4 New Member

I feel stupid coming on here, but think i should. ive been reading as much as i can on the net about children who have lost a parent to suicide in the hope it makes me get in in my head the damage i would do to my children if i left them. On the outside i appear normal, but on the inside im a wreck, My wife has no idea i would even think about this stuff. i looked up newzealand helplines for support but i would be too embarressed to ring anyone

2. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

I lost my son and I can only honestly tell you that it emptied out my life forever. One of the problems with depression and suicide is that people still feel ashamed of it. There is no reason for that. Seeking help for depression is no different than seeking help for a broken arm, or an ulcer, or any other ailment. Remember that the people you would ring on the phone are people who are expecting someone to call with the situations you are feeling... so there is no reason for embarrassment. Definitely take some steps forward because your family cares about you. Perhaps find the courage to speak to them of this.

3. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

Hi Dado and welcome.. Very much so!!! Like Pick has said deep depression is something to talk about rather than hide from.. Dado many yrs ago I finally did call a crisis line..wonderful caring good person on the phone with just me..she got me some good professional help.. Saved my life sir..

Meds and therapy can help a lot.. We are a good bunch of very caring people here..you please do not go hiding anymore now.. Is ok to take the mask off and let the walls down now..

Glad to have you with us.. Take care, Jim

4. Wispiwill

Wispiwill Well-Known Member

Nothing stupid in trying to help yourself and your family. Can I ask, why haven't you told your wife you think about this kind of thing?

5. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

Hiya Dadof4 - I'm a kiwi too - offering to listen and help any way I can. We have the Samaritans here who would understand your feelings about calling - it's the best thing to do, rather than keep it bottled up inside. Reaching out does work towards making things better :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.