I feel like giving up, yet I want to keep living. How do I stay alive?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by sunjumper, Aug 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunjumper

sunjumper New Member

This is my first time ever post on this site. I googled suicide support and the forum came up so I thought what the heck. I feel so discouraged by the situations in my life and overwhelmed at how to go about changing them for the better. All that I am able to see is the negative. I wanted to have so much more in life than this, yet all I am manifesting is the exact opposite. My life feels like to big of a mess to fix and I just want to throw in the towel. I'm too ashmed to talk with any of my friends about how I really feel, I also don't want to worry them. I'm trying to get into counseling, but I will need to wait a week. I'm not employeed so I have to go through low cost care which isn't a speedy process. So that discourages me. Truly, I don't want to die or kill myself, but it's just that things feel so bad right now I just can't imagine how I am going to make it through this.

If anyone can share any thoughts or encouragement on what kept them in the "game of life" I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

2. amei

amei Well-Known Member

Welcome to SF!!

There is almost no mess that is too big to fix, you just have to do it a bit at a time, you know, small changes. Don't give up yet. :hug:
    counseling is a great idea. And hopefully you'll meet some nice people on this forum. Being all alone when depressed is the worst thing ever.

I really dont have any advice,, >__> sorry, but im sure someone else will.
    Just wanted to write something. I wish you will make it through this. :hug:

3. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

:welcome: to the forum. I am glad you are doing what you can to seek out help and support. The hardest aprt is taking that first step and saying you need help and then telling someone about it. You have taken that step. I can't promise the rest will be easy as I do not know what issues you are struggling with. Make sure you are open and honest when you see the counselor so they can formulate their plan to help. Take things one day at a time. Since you said you are only able to see the negative right now, try compiling a list of things you are thankful for. It does not have to be anything huge. You can be thankful for running water, soap, shampoo, chocolate, etc. What you put on this list is up to you. Try to add something every day. You will be amazed at how large this list can grow to be. Try not to limit yourself. I know it isn't much, but it is a place to start. :hug:

4. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Good morning,
    I know how you feel I was really down when I joined the forum. They have helped me to open up some. I am talking again and I am getting out of the house a little each day. You will meet alot of nice people here and unfortunately a few rotten apples. Mostly all good. I have made friends with a few of the members.Try to keep a positive look at things. And don't be scared to open up because no one knows who you are!!
    Welcome to the forum and hold your head high because you have nothing to be ashamed of...Take Care...

5. Ediciussievol

Ediciussievol Well-Known Member

It's the small, tiny mustard sized seed of hope that there might be something better in the future. When I was suicidal there was a tiny voice in there that basically said, "you may not see it, but there may be something good there that you can't see, but will" in a nutshell. A real small, quiet voice.

I suffer from major depression, so I take hope anywhere I can find it. That still, small voice didn't give a whole lot of information or reasons not to, but I guess it worked for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.