I feel like im in a rush to get through life

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Ima.robot, Nov 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ima.robot

Ima.robot Senior Member

So im 21 and just thinking about my future all the time is giving me anxiety. I went to university 2 years ago but dropped out cause I wasnt ready and other reasons. right now i still live with parents. now next fall im planning to move to another province as i have wanted to live by mountains since i was 11 or so. the thing is although i think i have a good idea what i want to do when i go back to school(respiratory therapy) now i dont think i will be able to focus because this year i developed knee problems and may require more surgery possibly on both knees. so i think im going to wait until i get my knees better hopefully so i can focus completely on school. I know im still young but i see my friends almost graduating and will be making money and starting a career way earlier than me and i feel like im going to be behind in life.

its like im so worried of 'winning' the rat race to get a career and buy a house or something like that. everyone around me seems to think life consists of going to college right after high school then start career to buy a house. meanwhile im not going to be starting at least 2 years from now so i can focus only on school and i feel like ill be comparing myself to my friend who will be starting some type of construction manager job making good money way before i would.

why do i feel like life is this race to get a job and climb the corporate ladder? i know im not ready yet until i get my physical and also mental health in order but i feel like im just trying to rush through life. has anyone else here only started school or career later in 20s? i dont like how im always comparing my progress to the 'normal' route in life.
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

omg yes hun many many many people hold off on their education for some reason or another and when they are ready or when they know what it is they want to pursue they attend college or university there is no set time to go ok. You are wise to hold off for now good thinking on your part hugs
  3. Ima.robot

Ima.robot Senior Member

Yeah I learned from dropping out before dont go unless im ready. I just really need to learn to stop comparing my life to people i grew up with, it doesnt make me feel better. I think living in another province will help that and give me my own identity. Thanks :)
  4. Sparrow91

Sparrow91 Well-Known Member

I didn't start school later but I do understand how you feel about rushing to get everything done. I'm only doing school right away because of pressure I guess from family it's the "normal" route like you said. Fuck the normal route (excuse my language :) ) but seriously I'm not ready to get my life started of course I want a house and a career but it causes me the worst anxiety thinking about my future. But it's good to do life when your ready for it, don't compare to other people, I have to work on that myself. In the long run you'll be prepared for anything and everything that comes your way because you'll be ready.
  5. Ima.robot

Ima.robot Senior Member

I dont mind some language lol. Good to know im not alone. I hope im ready for life some day, that i will learn to cope with whats taken away from me or get it back.
  6. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

raven's, i've had something like that (not entireley like you described, but something like that)

with me, it's wanting to get things done before it's too late... i mean i'm in my 20's too, and havn't had half the experiences people have had- and i keep thinking to myself, well.. my life isn't going to last forever, i need to do something before time runs out.
  7. Ima.robot

Ima.robot Senior Member

Hi Emily, if you want you can elaborate? Did you get those things done you were talking about?

I need to do something too, ive just become so depressed since i cant do sports right now I knew they were my favorite thing to do but I didnt realize how much I used them to cope with life until they were taken away from me. I hope to be able to run again one day but i feel pathetic for letting this ruin my life when there are people who are paralyzed and all. I dont even go out with my friends anymore when they invite me, ive been letting this affect my whole life and like you said life isnt going to last forever.
  8. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

what other sports did you like, ravens?

i never even had that going for me... hell, i had nothing ever going for me.

i think when we're depressed, it really puts "life is short" in to perspective. i mean you spend half your life not knowing what to do with yourself and not being motivated, yet when you're finally able to do something and get on with life, it's too late.
  9. Ima.robot

Ima.robot Senior Member

Used to do a bunch, 3-6 times/week.

Im sure you have something going for you, I think everybody is good at something even if we cant see it ourselves. Sometimes we just cant appreciate what were good at dealing with depression and sometimes we havent found out our strengths yet.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.