I feel like I'm losing my friends

Discussion in 'Family, Friends and Relationships' started by anarulesmenow, Oct 30, 2010.

1. anarulesmenow

anarulesmenow Well-Known Member

Hi, I have just recently left my 6th form and gone to college.I've always had a lot of friends and I still do but I feel like I'm losing them. I used to see them pretty much every day because of 6th form, but now we don't even speak much because I'm not there now. I've made some friends at college but not close ones and I don't think I'd do anything outside of college with them. Also, my closest friends all live pretty far away across the country.
    I just feel like I'm losing my old friends, and at the same time I'm not making any at college too well either and I don't want to be a loner. Any tips?
  2. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

In most people's cases, I think that they lose communication with their highschool friends when going off to college- unless they go to the same college for the same thing.

I didn't really have any close friends in highschool at all- I was unpopular and unwanted by most people in highschool.
    Once I had gone to film school, I was amazed to actually be quite popular without trying.
    It's much easier to make friends with people when you share a common interest.
    For me- it was a passion for film.
    I knew alot more and had much more experience than most of my classmates- which made me popular; I think... because I actually knew what I was doing.

If you feel like you are losing contact with your old friends and not making any new friends- you will have to put a bit more effort in to make a couple of good friends.
    Don't expect everyone to like you- because not everyone will.
    Just be yourself, be who you want to be.

A couple of tips-
    Most schools have gyms or athletic programs you can take for free. If there is a class you are interested in- take it! There are usually many other beginners there as well, who are just looking for people to hang out with.
    Also look into clubs.
    I always give this advice because it works.
    Find a club or activity that you have an interest in and talk to people- share your opinion! Already, being part of a club- you will meet people who share your interest or curiosity in something; you can sign up to volunteer to help with public events- go to events- be proactive and talk to people!
    You might not become best friends with someone over night, but you will surely feel good about going to a weekly club activity just to be with the rest of the members.
    One last thing... although this can also be included in clubs--- see about volunteering for school events or with student aid. Most student aid positions will also pay you for your work with them. You will be helping people, talking to people and making friends in no time.

If you were so popular before, I'm sure with a bit of work, you can open yourself up to a new group of friends.
    Just don't get discouraged if you get shot down by a couple of assholes.
    There are plenty of careless people and anti-social people in college who would rather sit in a pit of hot coals than make a connection with some chick/dude they've only met once.
    ...And there are also people who think the exact opposite way.