i feel pathetic

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by undercoverlover, Apr 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. undercoverlover

undercoverlover Well-Known Member

i saw a picture that was really triggering of someone's scars. they were trying to show their progress in recovery but it triggered me a lot even though they had a warning and now i feel pathetic. i didnt harm myself enough and i only have a few scars. if they can do it then i definitely deserve it. i feel so pathetic and cowardly. i feel pathetic for comparing myself to their scars and i feel pathetic and cowardly for not hurting myself enough. help
  2. scarlettdrknss

scarlettdrknss Well-Known Member

i know exactly how you feel. i always feel bad about not cutting enough when i see someone's scars/cuts, even if they aren't as bad as mine. because i feel like i'm not doing it often enough. i feel like i'm not worthy of doing it if i don't do enough. but it never seems to be enough.
    i am nowhere near stopping my self harming but i try to do this so i don't feel bad about not self harming as much when i see others. i try to look at their scars as if they were a part of their personality, a part of them, not just scars. so when i see other scars, i see them as unique designs telling their story. my scars/cuts tell a whole different story and it's just mine. i don't want my cuts to speak of cutting because i compare myself to others, i want them to display my pain, my feelings. maybe the cuts will fade, maybe he scars will be barely visible, unlike when you see others, but i know they are there and they are only mine. my secret, my feelings, my memory.
    i don't know if that helps, it doesn't always work by me. i am a person who likes to be different tho and don't attach to people easily because i don't really want to.
  3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Self harm won't solve anything. You need to work with your professionals to see what they recommend. Don't feel pathetic or cowardly,its just self harm won't make you better.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.