I feel so Ugly

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by LostSpirit, Nov 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LostSpirit

LostSpirit Well-Known Member

I hate taking pictures with a passion because I look horrible in them. When I look in the mirror I can tolerate how I look sometimes but it's a little frustrating to know how I really look. It really effects my self esteem. I always look different in certain places, better than others. This goes for photos too. I always look awkward and ugly in most photographs and I try to avoid pictures like the plague. I wonder sometimes if I have body dysmorphic disorder. I'm too obsessed with how I look and what are people are thinking. I would to be confident and relax and to care less about my appearance. I hate everything about my face.. my nose, teeth everything. I hav'nt had problem's attracting people in the past, I just wish I could feel attractive myself.
  2. GabrielConroy

GabrielConroy Well-Known Member

I used to avoid pics like the plauge too. It's just in your head dont let it get to you. I know easier said than done I have the same issue.
  3. EspenN

EspenN Well-Known Member

I feel with you ... I hate the way I look, and I've heard critism about it every time. I don't know how you feel, but if you've been able to attract people in the past then I doubt there's anything wrong with you. All you need is a little bit confidence :wink:
  4. Nissa

Nissa Guest

I know what you mean. I have grown up in an environment where I constantly have others telling me how fat and ugly I am. The one that really got to me was my older brother telling me that I am 95% body fat... that was over a year ago... I now run for 4 or more hours a day and hardly eat or drink. It all has to do with self image.
  5. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

We are all beautiful in our own way.
    There are a lot of threads similar to this here.
    Remember that the voice telling you that you're ugly is not yours. It came from somewhere else. That voice is not yours. Try to find your voice, so that you can tell that other voice pointing out all your flaws to fuck off.
  6. EspenN

EspenN Well-Known Member

Well yeah ... so far over 3000 voices has agreed on the matter than I am ugly xD
  7. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I actually rather like how I look in the mirror. I try taking a picture and I can't stand to look at myself, though.
  8. k2hsharpe

k2hsharpe Antiquities Friend

I've never thought of myself as attractive. Just the opposite. A few year ago I decided to do a 365'er (1 self portrait photo a day for a year) - can't remember why. Within a few months I just couldn't believe how fuck ugly I am.

But the strangest thing. By the end of the 365, and since then, I've come to love the piccies where I look stupid, look not attractive. I have 2 favourites in particular. Both with grand daughters. I look at myself in one of them and think "I have such shifty eyes, there is no way I'd ever buy a used car from such a shifty looking bastard"
    And in the second I look so stupid I can't believe it. A few people have commented on how stupid I look in it and wonder why I carry it with me on my phone. But most people look at it, look how stupid I look and how gorgeous my grand daughter is and they laugh. They laugh with me. And we all enjoy it. I wish I could share it with you.

I suppose it's easier for me to not care LostSpirit, after all - I'm fat, old and bald. And male. I think it's harder for a young woman like you are, you have more pressures inflicted on you by others and by yourself. But this acceptance of myself that's come so late? I now realise it could have come decades ago. I guess I'm a stupid as I look (still laughing)))). I hope you come to a similar acceptance of yourself, and I hope you don't have to wait as long as I did
  9. A_Loser

A_Loser Well-Known Member

I am ugly
  10. Will

Will Staff Alumni

:hug: LostSpirit

I know that feeling. I can't get away from it either. :sad:
  11. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Fat and going bald. Also had to get dentures. You know what I don't give a shit, I am to old to try and impress anyone. My sister gets on me because I have shot up to 317 lbs. Well she is in her250's so she should look at her self before she puts me down!!!~Joseph~
  12. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

I have Body Dysmorpic Disorder and it sounds like a lot of you in this thread suffer with it too. There's a forum for people with BDD if you haven't seen it before.

Just incase anyone needs it.....

There's a qualified doctor that helps out in the treatment section too.
  13. LostSpirit

LostSpirit Well-Known Member

^^^ thanks for the link
  14. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi Lostspirit,

Beauty comes from within, it's true that what's on the inside counts more than the outside. Just the media likes to portray different in order to sell magazines:dry:

If you think you may really have body dysmorphic disorder, you should see a psychiatrist. There are many medications for BDD, also counseling should help with your self esteem.

I wish you the best of luck sweetie,
    I'm always here if you need a chat :) :hug:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.