I feel...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends and Relationships' started by SAVE_ME, Mar 14, 2008.

1. SAVE_ME

SAVE_ME Well-Known Member

...as though people are laughing at me behind my back. See, I'm in a long distance relationship with a girl I met online which seems to be a big taboo. I can't believe people are still living in the dark ages when it comes to this sort of thing. Yeah, I get all that sh1t about not knowing for sure who it is you're talking to, but if two people truly love each other then why should something like distance get in the way?

My family don't necessarily see eye to eye with me on this, but I'm a big boy, so the way they see it is it's my own fault if she doesn't turn out to be the woman I think she is. But the biggest stab in the back came when her cousin (who I talk to via myspace and MSN) made a cheap little remark, asking her "When are you two getting married? These things always end in heartbreak, you'll see and blah blah blah". That just hurt. Felt like a knife in my back when I heard it, and now I just get this picture in my head of him laughing at me behind my back with all the others.

It irritates me, because it's as if they all want this relationship to fail, and it's like they're all secretly betting on how long it'll last and what not. I know that not all LDR's end in disaster. Hell, I know people who married the person they met online. I guess what I want is someone to support my decision. I love her with all my heart and I honestly don't know what I would do without her. I just wish people would see that for once, instead of planting a load of doubt in my mind, making me paranoid and sitting back and watching it crumble. For once in my life, I'm happy. Why can't they just respect that instead of trying to destroy it?

2. Mortem

Mortem Well-Known Member

Interesting post. I spend a lot of time in chatrooms and I see this phenomenon occasionally. 2 people start a relationship, and the second they tell the other people in the chatroom the majority seems to turn against them. I'm guessing it's some act of jealousy. Once I saw this couple break up just because of the things people told one about the other. That was people who had no real connection to the couple tho, but I reckon the same might apply offline and to relatives, which is your case. I dunno, I guess there's just something about it that's hard for people to grasp and of course, the one true joy is the joy of hurting other people. Throwing little snive comments and looking down on others just to make themself feel better. Personally I find it quite amazing that people have nothing better to do than to gossip and bother about things like that.

Anyway, since you've already told them there's not much to do now but to ignore them and prove them wrong, seems to me like they're just narrow minded.

Sorry if there might be a harsh tone somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2008