I figured out my dream

Discussion in 'Midnight Owl' started by empty101, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. empty101

empty101 Well-Known Member

I remember a lot more than this, but here's a part of one of my dreams that I remember pretty well:

I was taking staples out of my hand. I couldn't see the staples until I started pulling them out. I kept taking more and more out knowing my hand would be better every staple I took out. Then after I thought I had taken them all out, I put my hand out and looked at it and it was a little deformed (telling me there were still more staples left).

The staples must represent problems with myself. Anything from personality flaws, looks, attitude, smarts etc. etc. All the things I think are holding me back in life. I've spent the last two years trying to improve all those things. I've been learning, taking better care of myself, fighting inner battles AND practicing my guitar.
    The guitar is where the dual symbolism of the dream comes in. I don't think it was any coincidence that my left hand was the one I was pulling staples out of-- the hand I use on the fretboard of the guitar (the one that needs to build strength, accuracy, and get good at doing the different sorts of chords).

I started playing guitar three years ago and it's a very important part of my life. I always try to get better and better, and no matter what happens in my life I get some satisfaction from knowing I'm getting better at my guitar. As mentioned earlier, I also try to improve myself all the time. In fact, it's one of those things that makes me feel like I'm above so many other people in my life.
    I sort of always knew it, but now it's more clear than ever, that practicing guitar symbolizes my ability to improve myself. This mentality of improving oneself was really important for getting me out of depression and making me feel good about myself.

I've improved so much the last two years, but there's still some staples to take out.

2. johnnysays

johnnysays Well-Known Member

I kind of think I understand what you mean. I feel my worst when I think that I'm not trying to get better at something useful. For me, computer programming, when I do it, helps me to keep a positive attitude. I don't do it nearly enough. I am not a productive person. I haven't held steady jobs. Without something to do that I jive with, all I think about are my failures and flaws. I wish I wasn't so impulsive. I should have grown out of that. Anyway, thumbs up for you. I hope you can work through it.

This reminds me of a star trek episode (or was that a movie). Data said, "I am not like you. I try to improve myself." He was either referencing himself (his copy in the movie) or Lor (in an episode). That always stuck with me. It reminds me of people I've known who moved on and became responsible and driven. I wish I was that driven. But I don't want to pity myself right now.

3. cloud9

cloud9 Well-Known Member

Congrats man! Looks like you are making strides. I wish I could play the guitar :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.