1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I finally went to my local police station and made a statement against one of my abusers

Discussion in 'I Need Empathy and Compassion (No advice wanted)' started by ashleyneedshope29, Mar 4, 2018.

1. ashleyneedshope29

ashleyneedshope29 Well-Known Member

So I finally went to my local police station and made a statement against one of my abusers and they are going to let me know sometime next week if they can do anything or not and honestly this is stressing me out because I have been so worried about not being able to afford an attorney if they can do something and if I decide to go to court I just can't stop stressing about this.

2. burning-fairy

burning-fairy Member

I can't say something to that except that you can be proud of yourself for being so brave. :)
    This is a huge step for you, and you should give yourself some credit!

3. ashleyneedshope29

Thank you so much however I am having second thoughts about it but I'll be fine.

4. sassy123

sassy123 Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

Hugs Ashley you did this for yourself that’s all that matters I hope everything turns out okay

5. Anttmel

Anttmel Well-Known Member

Hi Ashley,
    Congratulations for taking such a huge step. I know it can be really hard to talk to anyone about the abuse - especially the police. I hope you are able to feel pride in your accomplishment.

I believe you are in the United States, and I don’t know much about the laws there (I am in Canada - I have a pretty good sense of criminal law here). But it is my understanding that if the police arrest your abuser, it would be the district attorney who prosecutes your abuser. You should not have to pay for the lawyer. And depending on your location there may be a victim support office or liaison to help you through the court process and explain what to expect.
    I think the only way you would have to pay for a lawyer is if you chose to sue your abuser(s) in civil court.
    Best of luck and remember - no matter what happens now, you stood up for yourself against your abuser. It takes great strength and courage to do that.
    Hugs
    Mel

6. ashleyneedshope29

Thank you so much for your kind and loving words that trully made my day.

7. ashleyneedshope29

Thank you so much sassy that trully means alot

8. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

Hello @ashleyneedshope29 I am so proud of you for doing this not just for yourself but for others not to be abused by this person. It takes a lot to go into the police station and make a statement, they probably won't know for some time if they can do anything or not, in my case I had to wait 2 years to find out they could do nothing. Those were a rough two years but you are strong and you can do this, you have it wrapped up, you're a fighter :) Do you think if they were prosecuted that it would ease the emotional distress caused by the abuse? Well done Ashley, you totally did the right thing :) Best wishes & keep us updated.