I get so nervous during exam times, so nervous that I stutter

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Darker Than Black, Apr 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darker Than Black

Darker Than Black Well-Known Member

It happens for every final or midterm, or even a small quiz, I get extremely nervous, and the only thing going through my mind are the exams. And When I try to have a normal conversation my mind goes blank, and I don't know what to say, btw, I also have social anxiety. But during exams times its a different kind of nervousness. Its hard to describe, but when ever someone talks to me, I know some times what to say, but the words wouldn't come out, and I can feel that I'm gonna stutter and they might judge me or something. how should I cope with this? It's already affect my relationship w/ ppl in my class, its just unbearable, and after the exam is the same too, I'm still nervous, and a lot of things goes through my mind that make me unable to even answer the simplest qeustions or conversations.
  2. mellie

mellie Member

Hi, I don't have any insight into the same intensity of your anxiety issues as you do. However, I also sometimes have anxiety issues during exams, especially practical ones where someone is watching me perform assessments of people or when I'm giving lectures to other staff or students.

I find that I generally cope by taking in deep breaths and finding a calm state of mind. I can't say it always works but its one thing that I've tried in the past.

Anyway goodluck with your exams and I hope you find a coping mechanism for your anxiety
  3. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

I also have a problem with stuttering, thankfully it's not as bad as it used to be but it still causes a problem and I feel like such a twit when it happens. The stuttering has actually stopped me from wanting to say something, to engage in conversation, because I'm worried I'll end up stuttering. But actually from my experience I think the best thing you can do is talk!

A few tips I've picked up is to think what you're going to say before you say it. Before you say it out loud, imagine you're starting the sentance in your head and flow on from that. Breath deep. You are not being judged. People want to listen to what you're saying. You've got their attention. You are not going to stutter. Repeat this to yourself, and get yourself in the right frame of mind.

If people DO comment on your stuttering then try to take it on the chin, I know it's hard but you can't help it, and if they can't accept it or ignore it then that's their problem - not yours. Try to talk slowly, breath properly. And if you do stutter - DON'T PANIC!! This can only sometimes make it worse, you feel like you want the ground to swallow you up but just stop, take a few deep breaths, think of what you want to say and try again.

I read a while ago that people don't stutter when they sing - do you know Gareth Gates? He had a terrible problem with stuttering but when he sang you wouldn't know it at all. Perhaps if you put your words into some sort of rhythm that'll help a bit.

Hopefully this is a bit useful, if the stuttering is a big problem though perhaps you should consider talking to a doctor and trying speech therapy. Good luck with your exams by the way!
  4. plates

plates Well-Known Member

you can judge them by how they respond. i know my stutter was a kind of 'test' for a lot of people. if anyone still wanted to know me and reacted well to it, then they'd go up in my estimation.

then again, i hear your distress. i felt very much like you when i was around 10 and i did anything i could do get out of situations where i'd feel 'heard.'

maybe after your exams you will be less stressed and you won't stutter as much? but if it's anxiety related then, deep breathing and what resistance posted might help.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.