I give up!

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by IquitAndgiveUp, Nov 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IquitAndgiveUp

IquitAndgiveUp New Member

Why is life worth living? I can't think of a good reason to want to live anymore. I'm not a bad person but I'm not a good person either. I'm a nobody. My life doesn't mean anything. When I am gone, there might be tears but it will be momentary and then life moves on. I will be forgotten. I was meant for so much more but I have no idea how I ended up like this. I'm 25 and still have not accomplish anything even worth mentioning. I wish I had a mentor when I was growing up. I have 3 older brothers and 2 older sisters but they were useless. I don't recall ever getting one bit of good advice from any of them but I guess I can't really blame them because I wasn't any better as an older brother. I have a younger sister and I'm sure I wasn't a good example to follow. I never did drugs, join a gang, abuse alcohol, and harm others but I never did anything amazing or impressive that my parents would be proud of or my little sister could look up to. I had so much potential but was lost. I was a straight A student and was capable at being great at anything I attempted. I remember even wood shop in middle school when I didn't know anything about creating things from wood but I tried my hardest and created this amazing dragon wood sculpture. Even in Ceramics in high school I was able to create this amazing vase from scratch. I know I had the potential to do anything I wanted if I just had some sort of direction after high school. My first semester in college, I wasn't even sure what classes I needed to take. It was horrible, I just felt completely lost. I've always been told you need to go to college but ok I'm in college now what?? In the end it felt like all that really matter was making money. It didn't matter if I was happy or not I just needed to make money and make a lot of it, if I were to be somebody of significance. From what I've experience so far money really does seem to be the root of all evil. Sadly but truly, I've come to this rock bottom point in my life because of money and the idea of making a lot of it.

I have loving friends and family and a decent job, but it just doesn't seem worth living anymore just to "live"......I've lost all passion for everything......

Sorry If I sound like I'm just ranting, but I'm seriously calling it quits, it just feel like I'm done with living....
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2010
  2. may71

may71 Well-Known Member

I think that a lot of a person's perspective on life has a lot to do with what is going on physically with them (including brain chemistry). There are people who have bad experiences but still find a way to be happy. I'm not blaming anyone for being unhappy, I'm just saying that people tend to see their unhappiness as being something that is inherent to life itself.

People do tend to be very superficial and too concerned with making money.

Therapy might be good for you. The high expectations that you have for yourself sound they they may be getting in the way. Therapy might help you get a new perspective on life.

If you are not a good person, maybe you could become one. Is there something that you believe in that you could volunteer for?
  3. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

Hi and welcome to SF. It sounds to me like you're actually not suicidal (at least at the moment), but more disallusioned with how your life has turned out. Money is needed to live a comfortable life, but money alone will not make you happy. True happiness comes from within and you have to do things that make you happy. You sound like you have a pretty good life compared to most on here and you should be thankful for what you have. You just need to figure out what will make you happy and keep working towards that. Maybe you want a more fullfilling life?
  4. StevenSiew

StevenSiew Well-Known Member

Life is hard. I sorry that it is hard for you. My life is not easy for me either but when I was young I was very curious and I had the opportunity to read about a lot of subjects (sadly none related to the courses I was doing) at university for which I am forever grateful.

You are young, so you should think about your passions in life. Are you good at people skills? Do you like solving problems? You do like the outdoors? You do like money? Are you a gambler (by that I mean do you like taking risks? Like starting a new business)

No one can answer for you? But I think you should attempt to do something with your life EVEN IF IT MEANS THAT YOU MAY FAIL. The last I will advise you to do is NOT TO TRY. Loneliness is partly to do with the lack of a goal. You need to have a goal in life even if your initial goal may not be your final or proper goal. Goals may change in life but that is to be expected.

Perhaps, you want to have friends or girlfriend (assuming that you are male). Once you have a goal, it's may be easier to make friends, because you can tell other your goal (as oppose to just telling them that you are depressed) and ask them for help. Most people do not know how to help a depressed person and they will shy away from helping you. But if you tell them your goal, they may be more willing to assist you (in effect, helping you with your depression).

I hope my reply will be of use to you.

I envy you. You are so young.

Steven Siew
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.