I hate being the rookie

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Dreamland, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Dreamland

Dreamland Well-Known Member

So I've started a new job, and I just finally got to do some of the actual workload today. Of course, as luck would have it, my direct supervisor was out at a funeral and my coworker had to leave mid-day to tend to some family thing. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I wasn't either of them having to deal with grief and family problems, but I was left completely alone and had nobody to ask questions of.

Then, some guy comes in and starts ranting about something another guy in my job position did and basically acting like it's our fault and we all do it that way. I don't even think he knew I was new, so I said like 3 times that I was "brand new" and was "sorry that I didn't know enough about the issue to address it directly." He still just freaked out on me.

And of course earlier in the day I'd made some calls to try and accomplish something and when I would tell them "I'm new" you could just hear them immediately get pissed off that they had to deal with some rookie who didn't know what she was doing. One of them even sat there trying to explain how to use a program to me, when that wasn't the problem--I already HAD all the information I needed, I just needed her to VERIFY that it was correct because it was from HER division. Afterward she was like "if you ever need any training..." Yeah. Right. Because I haven't just gotten out of 2 solid weeks of "training" with no practice opportunity because they couldn't even bother to get me to exist in the fucking corporate system over a month after I was offered the job. Oh, and I've seen my direct supervisor probably 4 days out of a total of 2 weeks. They're doing a bang-up job of making me feel prepared.

Today was a day that just made me want to go to sleep and never wake up!!! Don't you all HATE being the new person at things? Why are people such dicks when they should know that I can't help not knowing what to do??? :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

2. Why Am I Here

Why Am I Here Well-Known Member

We all have to start somewhere. Can't expect going into a job and knowing everything to do. :) You'll eventually get the hang of it. I do get what you mean when hate being the newbie or rookie, it's a bitch. Good luck in your new job!

3. Jonathan

Jonathan Well-Known Member

Use that anger to prove to those dimwits that you aren't worthless. When I got my first job at a Garden Centre, I didn't know what to do and had no direction. In the end I got used to looking at what others were doing and did the same then adapted and made some better decisions than them. I know you don't have a supervisor that is active enough for your questions, but just get on and do the job! If someone complains at you, use that as a lesson to either not do what you did or to do it differently! :)

Good luck!

4. Dreamland

Dreamland Well-Known Member

Thanks for the support and advice, you guys! It really helped me chill out. :)

5. Jeserai

Jeserai Well-Known Member

Respect for the fact that you are working on a new job! You're doing it great! Even with the irritating people around you. Hope they will get nicer to you.