I hate clothes!!!

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Wonderstuff, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Wonderstuff

Wonderstuff Staff Alumni

Actually, maybe it's more the designers I hate. And no, this isn't my size zero rant. This is my clothes-shopping rant. So please bear with me.
    ARGH!!!!!!!!!

This is ticking me off so badly. I tried on a lot of clothes yesterday, and while some things just didn't suit me (Some of them were really horrible, I understand that lol, I don't always pick things that will suit me, and some things just look better on the hanger than they do actually on)...some of them didn't fit. Or, to be brutal, they fit everywhere except my chest.

Now. It seems I have always had trouble buying clothes; when I was little it was because I had a tiny waist and we could never get things to fit. And then my mum had to take up all of my jeans because I also have short legs :laugh: The funness of clothes shopping for me. But now it's worse than ever because it's just not as easily remedied as that. If I say "I can't get tops to fit me" some people just might assume I'm fat. (I won't go there, that's another story :tongue: ) But it's not because of my stomach, it's because of my chest. Most people usually say to me "You look all right, you definitely don't look out of proportion," and it's true that my boobs don't look stuck on, or anything. But AHHHHHH. Because obviously clothes designers/manufacturers don't agree.

I am a perfectly average size 12, everywhere except my bust. Trying on clothes, this becomes a problem and a half. Remember the trend for shirt dresses? I thought, yay, something I can wear. WRONG. I tried on, not joking, maybe 30 different ones over a few months before I found one that fitted. Not even that they fitted but just didn't suit me - they just didn't FIT. Mostly because while they fitted me around the waist and hips...they have buttons down the front, and the buttons at my chest were always gaping uncomfortably :dry: I eventually found the one I now own, in Asda. Which is ironic because that's what made me so mad yesterday, Asda.

I was trying on clothes to get some new stuff for summer. And ok, in hindsight some of the clothes were bad choices. But I tried on this really great spotty dress, and it was wonderful - swingy, fitted perfectly around my waist and hips...but at the top, my boobs were stopping the dress from lying flat, forcing it out so it gaped really badly, and affording anyone who was standing to the side of me a very good view of my breast.

Eventually I settled for a grey top which was stretchy and so it fitted ok, a pair of dungarees (I know :tongue: ) which are a bit gappy at the sides where they have to go from my stomach up to my chest instead of lying flatter like they would on someone with better sized boobs, a formal-y top which has a tie waist so even thought it's slightly large there it ties in and looks quite good, and a hoodie which doesn't look too strained. But I tried on about 6 more things, and most of them simply didn't fit. I hate how that happens.

Why can't designers realise that they need to leave a bit more space up top? Even bra manufacturers are rubbish, because I was looking at bras too and they 1) don't go up to large enough cup sizes (I think most big stores stop at a D/DD and there's no chance I'll get into that) and 2) don't go down to small enough band sizes (quite a few ranges actually stop at a 34, which is useless too), and 3) even if they do manage to stock 32s, they don't go up to big enough cup sizes, stopping at, if you're lucky, an F; but more commonly an E or even below.

ARGH. Why do so many manufacturers assume that people with big boobs have to be bigger all over??!?!?! Or do they perhaps think that people with really big boobs have all had operations and thus inflicted it on themselves, therefore it's their own fault they've gone too big? Because that's stupid.
    I've done nothing (unless you count failure to exercise enough as not doing enough to stop it) to encourage my boobs to get bigger, and yet here we are. I just hate that people do things for 'average' people, while forgetting that there are extremes on both sides. That's all.

/end rant

2. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

:hug: I can SO relate to all of that.

My boobs are HUGELY out of proportion with my waist and clothes shopping sucks.

I don't have anything helpful to say other than, I can truly relate to all of this.

3. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

oh, and in terms of bras, figleaves are excellent. they do loads of big bras. I think you cna only buy them online, but thats where I get all mine from. I can't get anything in regular shops.

4. RainbowChaser

RainbowChaser Well-Known Member

I hate to burst your bubble, but they're even rubbish at doing that! I'm a size 20, plain and simple.... But if anything's meant to 'flatter' the chest area, I have to go up a size and have it be too big everywhere else or risk not being able to breathe :laugh:

5. Greenforest

Greenforest Well-Known Member

Usually I've noticed girls dreaming of having big boobs to attract men, but apparently those girls don't know what they are dreaming of. Learned something new.

But designers don't need to bother theirselves with "abnormal" shapes, because they trust the majority of people will be either thin or thick, and slim body with big bosom -genes will stay in minority.

6. Wonderstuff

Wonderstuff Staff Alumni

Thank you for that tip hun, I had a look on the Figleaves site and they go up to rather impressive sizes. However they tend to be quite expensive, don't they? Like Bravissimo, which carries mostly 'designer' bras and so they're usually about £28. I don't know about you, but I'm a student and can't really afford that...I got two bras on Saturday, a size bigger than I would normally take but they fit pretty well, at an outlet village, and they cost £12.99 each, which I was quite pleased about. Possibly having gone up another cup size, however, not so much :tongue:
    Anyway. Thanks for reading the rant, I was quite annoyed last night :laugh: And yeah I know people dream of having big boobs, but not this big. I'm not a freakshow or anything but I think a nice D or DD should be big enough for anyone :laugh: I know I wish I'd stayed that size!!

7. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Also, debenhams sell big bras too

:hug:

I totally sympathise, from what you have said we are probably a similar size and I know what the cons are to it. (I also know the pros, lol, I once got my phone fixed for free instead of £48 because of them :D )

Take care of yourself honey

8. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

*tilts head* Sounds a bit like of one of my clothes shopping rants... manufacturers never seem to get stuff right, do they? At least you managed to get something though. :hug:

TDM

9. Sil

Sil Well-Known Member

C'mon girls! think of us poor boys when writing this stuff!:tongue: :tongue:
    Just kidding... I think it is a problem like any other related to clothing... i also have issues in dressing, but becouse i have impossible tastes... i don't like anything i see...

10. Greenforest

Greenforest Well-Known Member

Me too, have issues. It makes me feel myself even more weird when I'm heterosexual male and still thinking too much what I wear. I have normal body, but almost nothing seems to fit.

I wish I lived in Iron Age...

11. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

I hate shopping for clothes so badly that I rarely do it! I mostly shop in second-hand clothing stores and that's where I find my best things. As for me, I'm rather slender and have longer arms and legs than my trunk size would call for. I have the arms and legs of someone at least two inches taller than I am... so it makes shopping for shirts and pants very difficult. If they fit in the waist they're too short. If they're long enough, they're too big in the waist. And as for the chest... well, maybe I was a boy in a previous life!:laugh:

least

12. Wonderstuff

Wonderstuff Staff Alumni

Hey guys.
    Sorry to have neglected the male side of things, but I just call them as I see them, and it was more of a rant about my own difficulties in finding clothing :laugh: I'm about to start a thread in the soapbox because ANOTHER thing has caught my attention now, today. and I'm rather mad about it. You might be interested in checking that thread out if this one was of interest.

Just an extra little note...I went shopping today and went into Debenhams. There I was VERY happy at the choice of "bigger" bras available - the selection from Freya alone was enough to make me jump for joy, I LOVE their stuff, and it's so colourful...but it's rather expensive. I tried on, I think, maybe 5 bras...four by Freya, one a Shock Absorber which I could NOT breathe in, they really should put that on the packaging about size variation or something. Anyway, there were two that I really liked, and in the end the one that I got was my usual 32FF, but was a little loose around the back. However the saleslady came in and was all, "No, that's a really good fit...who fitted you? Oh, Bravissimo? They've done a VERY good job..." etc etc. But the other one I really liked was the same size, same manufacturer...even a very similar style, and it was FAR TOO BIG around the back. Not the cup...that was perfect. But around the back...riding up like nobody's business. *was going to insert some sort of disgusting thong joke in there but thought better of it* Anyway, the upshot of that was that the saleslady says, "Oh, all bras are different. You'll need to go for a 30G in that."
    WTF is up with that? What chance do we have if sizing is not even consistent within the same f***ing MAKE?!?!?!
    Ahem. Rant over, for now :tongue:

(and awwww least!!! :hug: - you posted after I wrote this - )