I hate my job so much

I'm sorry, it's hard to provide details in a post like this, because I have a fear of being too specific.

But, damn it, I hate it so much. I have been trying to find a new job since two months ago, and nobody has offered me anything. It's partially due to my location, and possibly because I was trying around the holidays, but still... damn. How can I not have anything by now?

I feel like I'm sabotaging myself at my current job. I hate it so much, there are so many things I want to say but I'm avoiding saying them because I know nothing will change. It's like working on a sinking ship. I have no control, and I know that everything is being done wrong.

I don't even want to go to sleep tonight, because I know that when I wake up, I'll have to go to that place.

Dawn

Hi. Sorry u are having such a hard time.

All u can do is just keep trying to find a new job. It sounds like u are doing what u can. I hope u find one u really like soon.

Last edited:

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
Hi there
I've been there, trust me.
Looking for a job right during the holidays is a really bad time. Honestly it doesn't get better here for another minute either because they've got seasonal workers in a lot of fields that they have to get rid of before they need to hire again. Guess it depends on your line of work.
But.. this is the thing -- you're 27 and you've got a lot of work years ahead of you. Right now you're looking ahead and thinking "maybe I'll be dead before then" or "I can find something awesome later on" but get on a good path now because "tomorrow" comes real soon. If you have to go back to school then do it. You don't have anything to lose. Branch out, make connections with people in your line of work if that's possible. Look ahead at what you WANT to be doing. If money weren't an object then what would you LIKE to do? More than likely whatever your answer is doesn't make a lot of cash BUT you can merge that answer with something that does. "Play football" - ok, go into sports medicine, coaching, statistics, journalism, casting, etc. "Draw cartoons" - ok, so you can do art as a side job but you're probably going to have to supplement that with something that makes money unless you strike it big out in the world. Since we don't know what you do for a living it's hard to tell you exactly what you could look at but branch out and keep looking. Dragging yourself to a job you hate freaking sucks. I understand.
P.S. Even though you hate it there try to make some friends. I find, for me, that even if I hate the job then sometimes friends can go a long way at a place.

Thank you guys so much. It feels good to have some sympathy.

Honestly, it's strange, because I didn't used to hate the job. I do actually like the people there, but it's painful, because the company is driving itself into the ground, and I feel like I can't do anything to change it.

If I could do anything in the world, I would probably stay in the exact same line of work, but I would actually do it right. I think one of the reasons it's most painful is because my bosses used to care what I think, and now they don't. My seeking a new job is honestly probably an attempt at revenge on them.

Part of me feels trapped. I know people are always saying how "bad" it is to quit your job without having another one lined up, like that somehow makes you a dangerous person to hire. And since I don't know how long it'll take to get a new job lined up, it feels like this intangible thing that I might never have, and I don't know how long I'll be trapped here.

Dawn

I can understand that. I'm so sorry that your bosses are no longer valuing your opinion. That must be very unsettling.

It is great that u really enjoy what u are doing and that u like your coworkers.

I know it seems like it will never change right now, but if u keep trying to find a different company, u will eventually be able to get out of there. Have u tried discussing how u feel with your bosses? I realize that this could be a risky proposition, but if it could be resolved it sounds like that would be best. U would have to approach them with caution, but if u are able to say it with the proper tone and content it may be able to be worked out. U are still young and have found what u like to do and get paid, so u are well ahead of the game. Keep posting and let us know how it goes. We care about u and will always be here for u anytime.

Do you know why they changed?
Yes. It's because another employee has become the favorite, and he hates me. I don't even know what kinds of things he says about me, but he seems to go out of his way to find ways to make me look bad. To be honest, I would have no trouble whatsoever quitting the job, but I'm terrified of disappointing my boss. If I see a disappointed look on his face, it will haunt me for years. I just want to get out of there without disappointing him. If I quit without having another job lined up, he might think it's a bad decision, and he might give me a facial expression that makes me feel like he no longer respects me. I just wish I could get out of there. Why do I have to give my two-weeks' notice? I just want to get out without having them hurt me in a way which will follow me long after I'm gone.

Kiwi2016

🦩 Now a flamingo, not a kiwi 🦩
SF Pro
I wondered if you were documenting what is going on then you could have evidence that you could talk to your boss or the HR dept? A toxic work environment is so difficult to deal with and so draining. Please take to heart that you do matter and that you aren't alone as we're all here for you.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00