I hate my job....

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by ZombiePringle, Nov 15, 2011.

1. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

so for the past almost 4 years I've been working in the same place. started as a temp, learned to run a machine here and worked my way up to maintenance and then quality control all within 6 months of working here. learned to drive the forklift in that time too. So there for a month when the quality guy quit (hence me taking over at quality control) kinda suddenly I was running the shift completely by myself. Driving forklift, doing maintenance on the machines during my shift, doing all the quality control and supervising the shift. Well they did hire a guy about a month after to do maintenance and to help supervise and we have been jointly running the shift ever since except for when one of use is gone then the other person has complete control of the shift. other than that it had been a joint thing.. we would make all decisions together and what not. We both have our specific duties.. I do all the quality stuff and he does maintenance. Well we both have been doing lots of extra stuff that they don't do on the other shift (basically covering their asses) so we both have been basically busting our asses for the past 3 years.

Well anyways I found out last friday that he had gotten a promotion to "supervisor" ....neither of us had that title before. Which did piss me off but I just kinda ignored it and figured I would just go with the flow a little. Well that is until my boss decided to have a meeting with everybody yesterday and announced that he was now supervisor and all that. went on to say that the company wanted to show their appreciation for all the hard work he has been doing and all that. and even said that some of the stuff that I used to do under the quality department he would now be doing. it was really upsetting and felt like I was once again just very much underappreciated for what I do. that tends to be a trend in my life. Well I have basically fallen completely apart since.

Yes he did deserve it and thats not what I'm upset about its the fact that I'm not appreciated here. that all my extra work just didn't matter. Even he told me he feels horrible about it.. said that we both have always worked great together and that we both made sure stuff got done. But like I told him.. it doesn't matter does it? I bust my ass for nothing. So as I told him... I am now done doing all the extra stuff and I will be getting an exact list of what my exact job duties are and only will be sticking to that. And I will also be actively searching for a new job.
  2. Kiba

Kiba Well-Known Member

My friend has been working at the same job for 3 years.. and she has never once got a promotion.. while others who have worked less time get promotions all the time.. Pisses me off too how some jobs they only take the people who are nice and pretty or who they feel are "better" even when one may be working harder then the other.. or even the same as another..
  3. sudut

sudut Well-Known Member

4. ZombiePringle

Yeah.. I guess its getting like that in lots of places now. Like I said its not the fact that he got the promotion but more the fact that I don't even get a thank you for the stuff I do here. He just talked to me after I posted this thread and he said that he doesn't blame me for doing extra work anymore and that he knows a lot of my hard work goes unnoticed.
  5. ZombiePringle

6. Wastingecho

Wastingecho Well-Known Member

if you get that list of responsibilities with for your job description i just hope they don't change it on you without telling you

apparently it is perfectly legal for a company to change the rules without telling you than fault you and/or fire you for not doing the things you didn't know you were supposed to be doing in the first place
  7. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

Not if it's contract locked. But if the terms are general, then yeah, your open to the application of those general terms :(

Best thing I can say is, don't change who you are or how you work. Look for new work if you feel you need to, but don't cut yourself short because they've been ignorant to you.
  8. Wastingecho

Wastingecho Well-Known Member

this may sound old-fashioned - then again, i'm old

i'm definitely not good at everything i'm asked to do, but i always try to do it the best way that i can

even if noone else notices, i do

sometimes a little pride is all that there is, but noone can take it away from you
  9. ZombiePringle

I think the pride issue is one of the driving forces for me here. If I'm not being paid or recognized for everything I have done for this company than than I feel that I'm not going to do the extra stuff. I do take pride in my work but I also take pride in who I am... and to me letting somebody push me around is not my idea of who I want to be. So I will do what I'm paid to do and make sure that aspect is perfect but nothing else. Maybe when they see some things not getting done they'll realize how much I actually do.